Each year we participate in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance(VITA) program. We partner with United Way in Huntington to provide this service. We provide this service free of charge to people who make less than $52,000. We are IRS-certified volunteers who provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing. Most of our volunteers are Marshall University students who wish to learn more about taxes and help people.
Our site specializes on foreign student returns. We will help you file Form 8843 and country’s tax treaties.
Our site is open 6:30 to 8:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are located in Corbly Hall 242 on Tuesdays and Corbly Hall 211 on Thursdays.
Items You Need to Bring
To have your tax return(s) prepared at a VITA or TCE site you need to bring the following information with you:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status (Passport)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
If you have any questions or would like to volunteer you may contact:
Chase Kirby and Jonathan Doak