Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

Each spring, the Beta Alpha Psi chapter at Marshall University participates in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance(VITA) program.  We partner with United Way of the River Cities to provide this service to students and community members in the area. The program is an excellent opportunity for our volunteers to gain valuable practical experience while helping those in the community.


What is the VITA Program?

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. All volunteers are IRS-certified and provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.

We assists students who wish to become IRS-certified volunteers, and provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing.

Our site specializes on foreign student returns.  We will help you file Form 8843 and country’s tax treaties.



Our site is open Thursdays 6:30 to 8:30 in Corbly Hall.


Items You Need to Bring

To have your tax return(s) prepared at a VITA or TCE site you need to bring the following information with you:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status (Passport)
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.


If you have any questions or would like to volunteer you may contact:

Ashley Taylor or Bill Choi