Ph.D. program recently graduates three students

This year has been an exceptional year in the BMS program for student graduates. The following students have recently successfully defended their Ph.D. dissertations:

J. Mike Brown, Ph.D.J. Mike Brown, Ph.D. – Mike was mentored by Dr. Monica Valentovic. His dissertation is entitled: “A Mechanistic Study of S-Adenosyl-L-methionine Protection Against Acetaminophen Hepatotoxicity.” He is currently a third-year pharmacy student at the University of Charleston School of Pharmacy.

Madhukar Kolli, Ph.D., D.V.M.

Madhukar Kolli, Ph.D., D.V.M. – Dr. Eric Blough mentored Madhukar. His dissertation title is: “The Use of Cerium Oxide and Curcumin Nanoparticles as Therapeutic Agents for the Treatment of Ventricular Hypertrophy Following Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension.” He is currently working as a Veterinarian in Barboursville, W.Va.

Siva Nalabotu, Ph.D.Siva Krishna Nalabotu, Ph.D., D.V.M. – Siva was mentored by Dr. Eric Blough. His dissertation is entitled: “Evaluation of the role of oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis in the pulmonary and the hepatic toxicity induced by cerium oxide nanoparticles following intratracheal instillation in male sprague-dawley rats.” Siva will next be working as an Assistant Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital in Florence, Ky. He says that he will use his research skills to educate his clients about the toxicity of different substances and the precautionary measures that can be taken to avoid toxicity in pets.

In Siva’s own words, “The experience I got from the Ph.D. program was utmost in my life. They were the best days in my life. I had excellent committee members who were very knowledgeable and highly encouraging. My advisor, Dr. Blough, was wonderful in guiding me throughout the program, and his valuable suggestions will be invaluable for my future. I also would like to thank Dr. Valentovic, who was very caring and helpful in advising me regarding the crucial decisions in my career.”

Congratulations, Mike, Madhukar, and Siva!

We have recently had several other students defend dissertations, and we will update you on them as soon as their graduation status is official.