Smith Hall, a seven story structure on Third Avenue at the northwest corner of campus, opened in 1967 and was named in honor of Stewart H. Smith, President of Marshall University from 1946 to 1968. It houses the classrooms and offices of the College of Liberal Arts, School of Journalism & Mass Communications, College of Science, the Department of Mathematics and the College of Fine Arts. The Birke Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the building. A broadcast satellite antenna sits atop the structure, which has an 84-car parking garage in the lower level. Communications Building The third building of the Smith Hall Complex was completed in 1970. Located on Third Avenue at the east end of the complex, it houses the studios of WMUL-FM radio, the closed-circuit educational television facilities, Department of Mathematics facilities and the Department of Distributed Education.
Smith Music Hall, part of the Smith Hall complex, was opened in 1967. The facility is home to the Department of Music. It contains classrooms, faculty studios, practice rooms, a listening laboratory, a music library, a 490-seat recital hall, and rehearsal facilities for vocal and instrumental performances of both individuals and group ensembles.