Technical Forum 2012
Below, you can download the presentation of the 12th Annual Geohazards Impacting Transportation in the Appalachian Region Technical Forum.
All presentations are in PDF format. You can download Adobe read here if you have trouble viewing the presentations.
Opening Session: Innovation in Research
- Determination of the Bearing Resistance of Rock in West Virginia, 2012 Update
Scott D. Zang, P.E., Geotechnical Consultant, Michael Baker Jr., Inc.
Joe Carte, P.E., West Virginia Department of Transportation
- Landslide Inventory Database and Landslide Rating Research Project
Lonnie Mills, West Virginia Department of Transportation
- Initial results in the determination of geotechnical scour numbers for foundation rock at fifteen West Virginia bridge sites
William L. Niemann, Ph.D., P.G., E.I.T., Marshall University
- Alternate Slope Cut Profiles for Rock Fall Protection Research Project
Aaron Wentz, West Virginia Department of Transportation
Session 2: Hydrogeology
- Evaluating Pore Pressure in Slopes using Equivalent Uniform Sand Layer Procedures
Richard Olsen, Ph.D., P.E., USACE ERDC Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (GSL)
- Bedrock Dewatering for Construction of Marmet and Soo Lock Projects
Nield, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Huntington District
- Design Guidelines for Horizontal Drains used for Slope Stabilization
Carroll, Desert Research Institute
Greg M. Pohll, Desert Research Institute
Donald M. Reeves, Desert Research Institute
Tom Badger, WSDOT
Balasingam Muhunthan, Washington State University
Rishi Parashar, Desert Research Institute
Session 3: Landslides
- The Keowee Creeper
Daryl Wurster, Wurster Engineering and Construction
- Case Histories: Innovative Roadway Landslide Repair Technologies
Colby Barrett, Soil Nail Launcher
Nathan Beard, Soil Nail Launcher
- Analysis of the Geologic Context of Maintenance Costs for Rockfalls, Landslides, and
Sinkholes in Kentucky: Project Summary
B. L. Overfield,Kentucky Geological Survey
D. I. Carey,Kentucky Geological Survey
G.A. Weisenfluh, Kentucky Geological Survey
R. Wang, Kentucky Geological Survey
- Using LiDAR to map landslides in Kenton and Campbell Counties, Kentucky
Matt Crawford,Kentucky Geological Survey
Session 4: Risk Assessment
Session 5: Investigation Methods in Hazard Prone Areas
Session 6: Karst
Session 7: Emergency Response
- Lessons Learned in the Repair of Failed Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) and Pile
Walls in the Eastern United States
Colby Barrett, Soil Nail Launcher, Inc.
Matthew Birchmier, P.E. GeoStabilization, Inc.
Nate Beard, P.E. Soil Nail Launcher, Inc.
- Film: “In Katrina’s Wake: Norfolk Southern Responds and Recovers”, including fielding
questions by NS Director – Research and Tests, Brad Kerchof, NSCorp
- Use of Grout Technology for Stabilization of Soft Ground and Sinkholes
James Bass, Hayward-Baker Inc.
Session 8: Rockfalls
- Design Guide for Rockfall Fences
Ghislain Brunet, Maccaferri, Inc.
- Case Studies on Rockfall Mitigation and Rock Slope Stabilization in California, Tennessee,
Nathan Beard, Soil Nail Launcher, Inc.
Justin Petersen, Soil Nail Launcher, Inc.
- Rockfall Protection System ‐ Highway Cut Embankment‐US 19‐Weston, Lewis County,
Roger Moore, Ameritech Slope Constructors, Inc.
William Kane, Kane GeoTech, Inc.
- Digital Photogrammetry Component of an Experimental Project to Monitor Rock Slope
Activity at Multiple Sites in the Valley and Ridge, Virginia
William Niemann, Marshall