Dr. Gang S Chen
Office number: 304-696-3204
Cell Phone number: 304-634-8138
Nanyang Technological University Ph.D. 1997
Shanghai Jiao Tong University MSME 1987
Shanghai Jiao Tong University BSME 1984
Dr. Chen conducts research in the broad field of complex dynamical systems (mechanical, vehicular, mechatronic/micro-/nano-systems, structural). He is interested in design, modeling, identification, monitoring and diagnosis. His expertise areas include dynamics, vibrations, acoustics and tribology.
Funded Research Projects:
- Interface and complex dynamics in ultra-high precision micromachining , Funded by CNSF $800k till 2017, Co-PI, (PI: J.F. Xu)
- Uncertain vibration identification and control, Funded by CNSF $800k till 2016, Co-PI, (PI: Y.F. Wang).
- Vehicle powertrain dynamics and noise control, Funded by GWMC, $146k
- Complex Interface dynamics and tribology, Funded by NEI, $54k
- Dynamics and stability control using advanced isolators, Funded by DRIC, $185k
- Chen G, Liu X.D., Chang J. Y., Characterization of nonlinear, non-stationary, nano-scale surfing contact dynamics of TFC slider utilizing high order spectra detection, Microsystem Technology (Springer), Vol 21, 2015, in press, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00542-015-2497-4
- Wang, Y., Wu G., Chen G., Automatic determination of cutoff frequency for filter design using neuro-fuzzy systems, Neurocomputing (Elsevier), Vol 169, 2, 412–421, 2015.
- Xiao, F., Chen G., Hulsey, J.L., Dolan, J.D., Dong, Y.T., Ambient Loading and modal parameters for the Chulitna river bridge, Advance in Structural Engineering, Vol 18/19, 2015, in press
- He T., Chen G., Liu X.D., Accurate detection of light contact of thermal fly-height control sliders using advanced singular value decomposition, Microsystem Technology (Springer), vol 21, 2015, in press.
- Chen G., Handbook of Friction-Vibration Interactions, Elsevier–Woodhead, 2014, http://store.elsevier.com/authorDetails.jsp?authorId=ELS_1170629
Professional Memberships and Activities:
- American Society of Mechanical Engineer (ASME)
- Society of Automotive Engineer International (SAE)
- Committee of SAE New Engines, Components, Actuators and Sensors
- Editor boards of 6 international journals, including as associate editor of a SAE flagship journal
Honors and awards:
- ASME Fellow
- SAE Fellow