Faculty Name: Jian Liu, C.P.E.
Phone number: 304-696-3067
Virginia Tech Ph.D. in Industrial& Systems Engineering 2008
Virginia Tech M.S. in Industrial& Systems Engineering 2004
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China B.S. in Industrial Engineering 2002
Certified Professional Ergonomist (CPE) from Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics
Dr. Liu’s research is in the general area of occupational ergonomics, more specifically in understanding and preventing slip-induced fall accidents through developing innovative fall prevention program, fall risk assessment methods, and fall detection approaches. Dr. Liu also has over 10 years’ experience in biomechanical analysis of gait and postural stability.
Significant funded research projects:
- Develop an ambulatory measurement system to assess risk of occupational slips and falls
Role: Co-Investigator. Funded by CDC/NIOSH.
- From mothers to daughters: a physical activity dosage intervention to impact adiposity
Role: Co-Principal Investigator. Funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Parijat, P., Lockhart, T. E., and Liu, J. (2015) Effects of Perturbation-Based Slip Training using a Virtual Reality Environment on Slip-induced Falls. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 43(4), 958-967
- Liu, J., & Lockhart, T. E. (2014). Development and evaluation of a prior-to-impact fall event detection algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 61(7), 2135-2140.
- Liu, J., & Lockhart, T. E. (2014) Trunk angular kinematics during slip-induced backward falls and activities of daily living. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 136(10), 101005
- Liu, J. & Lockhart, T. E. (2013) Local dynamic stability changes associated with load carrying. Safety and Health at Work, 4(1): 46-51.
- Liu, J., Lockhart, T. E., Johnes, M., & Martin, T. (2008). Local Dynamic Stability Assessment of Motion Impaired Elderly using Electronic Textile Pants. IEEE Transaction on Automation Science and Engineering, 5(4), 696-702.
Professional Memberships and Activities:
- Institute of Industrial Engineers
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
- Review Panelist for NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program, 2014
- Executive Council (Member at Large): International Society for Occupational Ergonomics and Safety, 2012
- Review Panelist for NSF Directorate for Computer& Information Science & Engineering, 2010