Dr. Isaac W. Wait, P.E.
Office number: 304-696-5444
Purdue University PhD (Civil Engineering) 2005
Brigham Young University MS (Civil Engineering) 2001
Brigham Young University BS (Civil and Environmental Engineering) 2000
Design Engineer, Horrocks Engineering, 2001 – 2002
Professional Engineer (West Virginia and Ohio)
Dr. Wait conducts research in water resources engineering, with emphasis on watershed modeling for flood prediction and planning. This research combines field data and numerical models to simulate runoff during severe storms. Dr. Wait has a particular interest in working to develop and calibrate time-to-peak methods for unusually steep watersheds.
Significant Funded Research Projects:
- Criteria for Predicting Scour of Erodible Rock in West Virginia. Funded by West Virginia Department of Transportation for $281,944. Principal Investigator.
- Implementing and Assessing Strategies for Environments for Fostering Effective Critical Thinking (EFFECTs) Development and Implementation. Funded by National Science Foundation. Principal Investigator.
- Wait, I.W. (2014). "Consumer perception of water quality, abundance, and cost: comparison of drinking water source, attitudes, and preference." International Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 4, 361 – 369. DOI: 10.1504/ijee.2014.067006
- Wait, I.W. and Blatchley III, E.R. (2010). "Model of radiation transmittance by inorganic fouling on ultraviolet reactor lamp sleeves." Water Environment Research, Vol. 82, No. 11, 2272-2278. DOI: 10.2175/106143010×12681059116491
- Wait, I.W. and Gressel, J.W. (2009). "Relationship between TOEFL score and academic success for international engineering students." Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 98, No.4, 389-398. DOI: 10.1002/j.2168-9830.2009.tb01035.x
- Wait, I.W. (2008) "Multiple-barrier disinfection by chlorination and ultraviolet irradiation for desalinated drinking waters: chlorine photolysis and accelerated lamp sleeve fouling effects." Water Environment Research, Vol. 80, No. 11, 2183-2188. DOI: 10.2175/106143008×304668
- Wait, I.W., Johnston, C.T. and Blatchley III, E.R. (2007) "The influence of oxidation reduction potential and water treatment processes on quartz lamp sleeve fouling in ultraviolet disinfection reactors." Water Research, Vol. 41, No.11, 2427-2436. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2007.02.057
Professional memberships and activities:
- National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES), Exam Development Committee Member and Subject Matter Expert.
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), member.
- Reviewer for Water Environment Research, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, and the American Society for Engineering Education
Honors and awards:
- 2015 Reynolds Outstanding Teacher Award (Marshall University)
- 2011 American Society for Engineering Education, Environmental Engineering Division Early Career Grant