Information for All Students

Application for Graduation

To apply for:

  • May 2020 graduation
    The official deadline is Friday, February 7, 2020 .

Undergraduate Graduation

  • You must pay the $50.00 graduation fee at the Bursar’s payment window in room 101 Old Main
  • Take the receipt to the CITE Dean’s Office, WAEC Room 2103
  • Complete an Application for Graduation Form

Graduate Graduation

Please use the location below that is most convenient for you when applying for graduation:
For Huntington Students

  • Pay a $50 graduation fee at the Bursar’s payment window in room 101 Old Main
  • Take the receipt over to the Graduate Dean’s Office in 113 Old Main
  • Complete a Graduate Application for Graduation Form

For South Charleston students

Commencement Exercises

There are no restrictions on the number of guests attending the ceremony. Detailed instructions for graduates participating in the ceremony will be available two weeks before the event at the Office of the Registrar on the Huntington campus and in Graduate Admissions on the South Charleston Campus.
The instructions will also be posted on the MU Registrar’s web site.
All persons participating in the ceremony must be attired in the Academic Cap and Gown. Arrangements can be made through the Huntington and South Charleston bookstores for cap and gown, and also the purchase of commencement announcements.

Dropping Courses

The information below is an excerpt from the Marshall University Undergraduate Catalog:
Final Date: Tenth Friday in a Regular Term

  • Day classes: Students can drop individual courses after the Schedule Adjustment period and during the Withdrawal period which lasts until the Friday of the tenth week of class during a regular semester. The exact last day for dropping individual courses is always published in the Schedule of Courses and the Academic Calendar for any given semester or term. A student must get a "Schedule Adjustment and Class Drop Form" from the Registrar’s Office, fill in the required course drop information, and then obtain the signature of the course instructor. If a student is on academic probation, he/she must also get the approval and signature of the associate dean of his/her college and bring the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.
  • E-Course Withdrawal Period: The withdrawal policy for e-courses parallels that for regular courses. A student can withdraw from an individual e-course through 2/3 of the official course length. After that time, only a complete withdrawal from the university is allowed. The refund policy for e-courses also parallels that of regular courses.
  • Night or Off-Campus classes, or E-Courses: Students can drop a night class, an off campus class, or an e-course by mailing a request to drop to the Registrar. The postmark on the request will be the official date of withdrawal. The instructor’s signature is not required. If a student is on academic probation, he/she must have the approval signature of his/her associate dean.
  • High-demand course: If a student drops a "high-demand" course during the Withdrawal period, he/she will not be able to pre-register for the course for the following semester. High-demand courses include:
    ACC 215
    BSC 227
    ENG 101, ENG 102
    MTH 121, 127, 130,
    SPN 101, SPN 102
    Students can obtain an up-to-date listing of high demand courses from the Office of the Registrar.

Grades Assigned for Dropping Individual Courses

A student dropping courses or withdrawing from the university during the Withdrawal period (which lasts until the tenth Friday after the first class day of the regular semester), will receive a grade of W. For eight week courses, summer sessions and other courses of varying lengths, the withdrawal period ends the Friday immediately following the two thirds point in the course. Exact withdrawal dates are published in the Schedule of Courses and in the annual University Academic Calendar. The W grade (withdrew) has no impact on a student’s Grade Point Average.
Students who drop courses improperly or who do not follow the regulations described here, receive a grade of F at the end of the semester or term.

GPA Calculation

The information below is an excerpt from the Marshall University Undergraduate Catalog:
The following example is provided as a guide for calculation of the GPA:
First Semester:

Course Grade Quality Pts. Credit Hrs. Total Quality Pts.
ENG 101 B 3 x 3 = 9
SOC 200 A 4 x 3 = 12
MTH 121 D 1 x 3 = 3
PE 115 B 3 x 1 = 3
UNI 101 CR 0 x (1) = 0
BSC 104 C 2 x 4 = 8
TOTAL 14 35

Multiply the number of Quality Points for each grade by the number of Credit Hours for that class. Divide the total number of Quality Points for the semester (35) by the total number of credit Hours (14). This yields a GPA of 2.50 for the semester.
Second Semester:

Course Grade Quality Pts. Credit Hrs. Total Quality Pts
BSC 105 D 1 x 4 = 4
ENG 102 C 2 x 3 = 6
HST 101 F 0 x 3 = 0
CMM 103 D 1 x 3 = 3
PHL 201 C 2 x 3 = 6
TOTAL 16 19

Multiply the number of Quality Points for each grade by the number of Credit Hours for that class. Divide the total number of Quality Points for the semester (19) by the total number of Credit Hours (16). This yields a GPA of 1.18 for the semester.
To determine this student’s cumulative GPA (the GPA for both semesters), add the total Quality Points for both semesters (54) and divide by the total Credit Hours for both semesters (30), resulting in a 1.8 GPA.
Note that this cumulative GPA is under 2.00. Since it is less than 2.00, this student has a quality point deficiency. Her college will place her on academic probation and she will remain there until future grades eliminate the deficiency—grades of A and B will do this; grades of C have no effect and grades of D or F will make the deficiency worse.

Holds on Your Marshall Account

When attempting to register for classes, you may see a message that states “You may not add or drop classes due to holds on your record.” In this case, you should click the “Student and Financial Aid” link in myMU and choose the “Student Records” option. Here you can view academic information, including any holds that have been placed on your account.
Click the “View Holds” link and the following information is listed:

Hold Type, From Date, To Date, Amount (if the hold is payment-related), Reason, Originator, and Processes Affected. Some of the information, such as the reason for the hold, may not display. Speak to your advisor regarding the best course of action if the hold is regarding academics.

Accessing Your MU Email Account

Each student at Marshall University is issued a MU email address, assigned as If you do not know your Marshall username or email address, contact Computing Services. The standard for checking Marshall email is through the Marshall university Web Portal, myMu.
After signing in to MyMu using your MUID and 6-digit PIN, click the “email” icon at the top of the page. Once the popup email window has loaded, you can receive and send email.

For information on alternate ways to check your Marshall Email, visit

Click here to review the Marshall University policy regarding email use.


Currently enrolled students in the College of Information Technology and Engineering are entitled to the use of several Microsoft software packages at no cost through the College’s participation in the MSDN Academic Alliance.
At the beginning of your first semester with CITE, you will receive your MSDNAA registration information in your Marshall email account. Once registered for the MSDNAA, visit the Academic Alliance Software Center at to log in and browse, order or cancel requests for available software.


Before registration, be sure to meet with your advisor for help deciding which courses will be best for your upcoming semester. You should also log on to MyMU to see if you have any holds that need to be removed that might delay your registration. Holds may be placed for academic advising, overdue library books, MU parking tickets, etc.
You can register for classes online through the MILO service, or in person at the registration windows in the Old Main basement. Check the Marshall University Academic Calendar for registration dates. To access MILO, sign in at using your MUID and your 6-digit PIN. Click the “School Services” tab and the MILO link. Next, click “Student & Financial Aid”, “Registration”, and “Add/Drop Classes”. Select classes from the open class list and register.
It is a good idea to sign back in to MILO around the first day of the semester to be sure you haven’t been dropped from your registered classes for non-payment. If you have, you will need to pay any outstanding fees and re-register before the final Add date has passed.

Writing Center Online

The MU Writing Center Online is a new service available to students that enables them to submit drafts to a writing center tutor via a MUOnline site and receive feedback, sent to their own email account, within 48 hours. Essentially, this is the same tutoring help that is provided to students who bring drafts to the on-campus writing center locations.
Click here to access the MU Writing Center Online.