Marshall theatre grad appears Off-Broadway

Nick Reynolds

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – A Marshall University graduate was in an Off-Broadway show that ran last month in New York.

Nick Reynolds was cast as Pincer, the Superintendent of Police, in the musical comedy “Drat!  The Cat!”  Reynolds said the show is about a young detective and a young heiress, who has been stealing diamonds all over town.

After getting his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree at Marshall, Reynolds was accepted for Penn State’s graduate acting program, where he taught two theatre classes for undergraduates. He also became a member of Actors’ Equity while working for Pennsylvania Centre Stage in “The Apple Tree” and “Ctrl+Alt+Delete.”  In addition to Pennsylvania Centre Stage, he worked for the Greenbrier Valley Theatre and the outdoor drama “Tecumseh” during that time.

Reynolds said during his time at Marshall he learned a lot of different acting techniques and is thankful for the knowledge and experience of the professors at Marshall.

“Gene Anthony was definitely a father figure for me,” Reynolds said, “and Jack [Cirillo] became like my older brother.  I’m still close with both of them and I wouldn’t be where I am today without them.”

Cirillo, associate professor in the Department of Theatre, said Reynolds was an ideal student.

“It is little wonder that already he’s finding success in NYC,” Cirillo said. “In a matter of months he’s secured an agent and some off-Broadway work. This is unique and typically takes a lot longer to obtain.”

Cirillo said Reynolds has a real love for theatre and is a prime example of the preparedness of Marshall’s theatre students.

“He loves the theatre and carries an attitude of childlike fascination for it – a real theatre geek,” Cirillo said. “He’s an excellent example of the kind of student we’re developing in MU Theatre.”

Reynolds noted that he learned much more than just being a performer as a Marshall University theatre student.

“The biggest mistake someone can make in acting is to think that the only tool an actor has is his or her talent,” Reynolds said.  “Marshall taught me about the business world of acting. When I left, I knew how to light a stage, take down a set, build a costume piece and act.”

Reynolds said he is still making adjustments when it comes to the acting world and preparing for auditions.

“The challenge is to keep telling myself that I’m not really auditioning for shows right now, I’m auditioning for people,” Reynolds said.  “I’m still brand new here and I need to get my face out, both on my own and through my agent, and I have to put my best foot forward every day.  I might not get that part, but I have to make that person remember me down the line.”

Next, Reynolds will portray the role of Little Bob in a reading of the musical “Smile.”  The reading will be for a private audience of Broadway and Off-Broadway producers with the hope of taking the show to the next level.

And as for missing Huntington, Reynolds says he does.

“I miss the food in Huntington,” Reynolds said. “I know New York is supposed to have the best food, and a lot of it is good, but when I’m in the mood for a Tudor’s biscuit, I’m out of luck.  The pizza here is amazing, but I’m a Giovanni’s man all the way.  I also miss my family – and why I listed them after food is for my therapist and me to discuss,” he joked.