Master of Science in Nursing
The nursing graduate program is open to a limited number of qualified applicants. Admission is determined on a competitive basis. The application deadline is April 1 for fall and October 1 for the spring semester.
All applicants must meet the general admission requirements the Marshall University Graduate College.
MSN Application for Admission (REQUIRED)
- Baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing from an ACEN or CCNE-accredited program.
- Undergraduate course credit for 3 semester hours of basic statistics, level 200 or higher, with a grade of “C” or better.
- Undergraduate course credit for 3 semester hours of basic research with a grade of “C” or better.
- Evidence of a current unencumbered license as a registered nurse in a U.S. jurisdiction. Verification form is included in the MSN application package.
Scholastic achievement as evidenced by an overall undergraduate/graduate Grade Point Average and scores on the Graduate Record Examination as follows:
- • GPA of 3.25 or higher: GRE waived
- • GPA of 3.0-3.25: GRE of 800 (total of 2 subsets) and Analytical Writing Score of 3 or higher
• GPA of 2.5-2.99: GRE of 1000 (total of 2 subsets) and Analytical Writing Score of 3 or higher
GPA of 3.0-3.24 needs a combined GRE score of 304-291 and analytical writing score of 3 or higher
GPA of 2.5-2.99 needs a combined GRE score of 336-305 and analytical writing score of 3 or higher
- It is strongly recommended that all MSN students have two years of full-time nursing practice prior to application to the program. Those who do not meet this criterion will be considered on an individual basis.
Midwifery and Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner applicants must have an interview with Shenandoah University faculty prior to the application deadline.
Post Master's Certificate Admission
An applicant with a master’s in nursing is eligible to be admitted as a post-master’s student depending on space availability.
Admission is determined on a competitive basis. Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Master of Science in Nursing from an ACEN or CCNE-accredited program. Applicants who are graduates of programs outside the ACEN jurisdiction will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Evidence of a current unencumbered license as a registered nurse in a U.S. jurisdiction.
Verification form is included in the MSN application package.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete both the university and the MSN application for both the MSN and Post Master's Certificate programs, submit all transcripts, and pay all admission fees. It is also the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that all required documentation is included in their application file prior to the deadline.
Applications, fees, and transcripts must be submitted to:
Marshall University Graduate College
100 Angus E. Peyton Drive
South Charleston, WV 25303-1600
1(800) 642-9842 / 1(304) 746-2500
Only those applications that are complete by the deadline will be processed and reviewed by the Graduate Academic Planning and Standards Committee.
Students will be notified of the committee’s admission decision by the MU Graduate College and the School of Nursing.
Admission records are only kept on file for one year. Students who are admitted but do not register for class will have their files deleted and must reapply for admission when they are ready to return.
For more information, contact:
- Katie Santiago, Graduate Admissions (304) 746-1910
- Becky Appleton, MSN Nursing Education (304)696-2628
- Diana Stotts, MSN Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Midwifery and Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (304)696-2623
- Robin Walton, MSN Nursing Administration (304)696-2634