Mission & Vision
It is the mission of the Marshall University Forensic Science Center & Graduate Program to provide quality forensic science education, advanced scientific analysis and innovative economic opportunity for the promotion of truth and justice in our community, state and nation.
Marshall University’s Mission
The Marshall University Forensic Science Graduate Program will demonstrate leadership in forensic science in order to:
- Provide affordable, high quality forensic science graduate education appropriate for the nation, state and the region.
- Provide forensic science services and resources to promote student learning, retention, and academic success.
- Foster faculty, staff, and student outreach through forensic science service activities.
- Provide a safe and secure work environment.
- Provide instruction in forensic science using appropriate and innovative modes of delivery.
- Provide forensic science education, training, and community services that serve society and the forensic science community.
- Promote forensic science student involvement in economic development activities that involve research, collaboration, and technological innovations.
- Model and promote the Marshall University Creed and MU Statement of Ethics, AAFS Good Forensic Science Practices, AAFS Code of Ethics, ABC Rules of Professional Conduct, and ASCLD Code of Ethics.
- Remain current in the field of forensic science while incorporating enhanced knowledge, skills, and abilities into the educational process.
- Improve instruction through the use of innovative teaching methods that promotes students learning and the development of critical thinking skills fundamental to becoming life-long learners.
- Contribute to the expansion of the forensic science body of knowledge through education, training, research and other services.
- Actively engage and mentor students in scholarly and creative endeavors.
- Regularly review the forensic science curriculum, degree, and programs offered, and recommend necessary additions and deletions to meet changing needs of the forensic science profession.
- Develop a positive, just, and equitable workplace for forensic science students and staff.
- Encourage and enhance student ability to use their knowledge, creativity, and critical thinking skills to make their communities better places in which to live.
- Secure funding to support forensic science scholarship and creative endeavors, faculty and staff development, and state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratory facilities.
- Facilitate the Forensic Science Program and Center’s achievement of its mission and vision;communicate the vision, mission, goals, achievements, and difficulties of the Forensic Science Center and Graduate Program in a clear, effective, and forthright manner to both internal and external constituencies.