Please send us the following:
- The completed online application form
- Your resume (In chronological order from past to present. Dates must be detailed to month and year.)
- Two to three letters of references on official letterhead from people who have direct knowledge of your qualifications for the teaching position. (Signed reference letter can also be sent by scanned PDF attachments)
- 500 word essay “Why I Want to Teach and Live in China” describing your interest in teaching and living in China
- College degree transcripts (copies acceptable, GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale) (Conversion Guide for UK applicants)
- Copy of College Diploma or an official letter from your university verifying your graduation date (If you have not graduated when you apply, your expected graduation date must be no later than June 15th for fall teaching placement)
- Copy of your passport picture page or a copy of your driving license if you do not have a passport (Your passport copy must be submitted within 4 weeks after your full acceptance to the program.)
- A digital passport size visa picture (please dress formal or professional).
- $150 application fee (non-refundable) payable to: Marshall University Research Corporation.
Health exam and criminal record check will be required after the acceptance in order to obtain your work permit in China.
If send by mail, please send all application materials by March 31, 2016 for late August departure, to:
Center for International Programs
c/o Teach in China
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755
For Go Green paperless application, we accept your digital application documents. Please follow our guidelines for E-file your application materials.
After we’ve received your application $150 application fee and reviewed your completed online application, resume, reference letters, 500 word essay, college transcripts, copy of diploma and copy of passport picture page, we will send you a letter notifying you of your acceptance if all requirements are met satisfactorily.
You will then be required to pay a total of $1,250 program administration and placement fee in two payments. The first payment of $750 is due within 2 weeks after you are accepted into the program. Placement of your teaching position starts soon after your first program fee is paid. You will receive two to three placement options. We will do our best to match your needs and preferences with those of the Chinese host school. After your teaching placement is confirmed, you will sign an employment contract for a 10-month period beginning September 1st of 2016 and ending June 30 of 2017 with the Chinese host school.
As a commitment from you, we do not start your teaching placement before the first payment of $750 is received. (This payment of $750 program fee is fully refundable if we are not able to get you a teaching position from a Chinese host school. The possibility of not being accepted for a teaching position by the Chinese host school was very rare in the past.)
The second payment of $500 is due by Friday May 15th, 2016.
As an Appalachians Abroad Teach in China participant, you will be required to attend a 4 day Orientation program in late August that takes place in Shanghai, China. Accommodations during the 4 day orientation program are included in the program fee. In addition, you will also be required to take an online TEFL training course of 54 hours for a nine week period of time starting from mid May to prepare you with skills of Teaching English as a Foreign Language and knowledge of the teaching resources. (The online TEFL training course may be waived for applicants with teaching license, or TEFL certificate.)
Marshall University will assist you with obtaining your work visa to China and travel arrangements. We will continue to maintain contact with you during your stay in China and serve as your advocate.