For 2014, we are accepting applications on a “rolling basis”. This means that the Admissions Committee is meeting frequently to make decisions to accept, decline, or continue to evaluate individual applications. While the most highly qualified candidates receive the most rapid admissions decisions, if you have not yet received an admissions response, please be assured that your application is still being reviewed.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Waivers to the GPA requirement may be made in exceptional circumstances, such as when prior satisfactory graduate school performance has been demonstrated.
- Submission of scores for the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants may request permission to submit results from a doctoral level health professions examination in lieu of the GRE. All examination reports submitted must reflect current valid scores. Applicants holding doctoral level health practitioner degrees are exempt from the standardized exam requirement, but may submit current GRE scores in support of an application.
- Submission of the Application for Graduate Admission to Marshall University, payment of a non-refundable fee, and acceptance by the Graduate College.
- Submission of the application to the MPH program, including personal statement not to exceed two pages in length.
- Receipt of official transcripts from all degree-granting institutions by the Graduate College of Marshall University, and official transcripts of other coursework as the program may require.
- Submission of three (3) letters of recommendation. At least two must be from previous faculty if the applicant has engaged in full-time post-secondary study in the previous five years.
- Resume of work history or curriculum vitae, to describe both post-secondary work and study.
- Individual interview may be employed by the Admissions Committee in making admissions decisions, as well as in consideration of scholarship support.
How your application is evaluated
We consider the totality of each application. A student’s previous academic record (GPA & academic program/major) and GRE test scores help predict success in undertaking graduate work. However, many other factors are critically important, including an individual’s experience, professionalism, and commitment to a public health career. Employment history, research and volunteer experience, and insightful letters of recommendation contribute to providing a more complete picture of a candidate. You should note that on the MPH Supplemental Application that one applies to a specific track, and thus the Admissions Committee can consider an applicant’s potential in that specialization. An individual’s strengths in academic preparation, experience or other attributes can make for a particularly desirable fit which may offset other weaknesses in an application. It is important to note that a change in specialization may be made before the second semester without incurring a need for additional terms of study.
Begin by downloading the 2014 MPH Application.
Please note that all materials for your application must be submitted through the Marshall University Graduate Admissions office. We receive only complete applications for review, so please make sure you have submitted all materials. Here is a good checklist you may wish to print and use to assure a complete application: MPH 2014 Application Checklist.
With the MPH Supplemental Application and the checklist in hand, you’re ready to go directly to the Admissions Website to begin the application process: Graduate Admissions
Please note the following:
- You will need to first register with a user name and password.
- The location of enrollment is “Huntington”.
- The major is “Public Health”, and the code for the Master of Public Health is “GHAØ” (a zero at the end).
- While the application specifies West Virginia, Metro and Non-resident fees, please note that Metro and Non-resident fees are equivalent.
- Please skip the prompt, “Please attach a separate page with additional information..”. Your personal statement in the Supplemental Application form meets this requirement.
To ensure you know when all your materials have been received, we will email you as soon as we have a complete application file.
Please write or call if we may assist you in the application process!
Dr. William Pewen