2014 Orientation & Retreat
We will be meeting in the Drinko Library Auditorium (Room 402) on Friday, August 22 from 8:00 am – 3:30 pm. Breakfast is available at 8:00 am, and we will break for lunch (provided).
- Welcome & Introduction
- Curriculum: Tracks, electives, academic procedures and standards.
- Why four terms of Seminar?
- Milestone-based training and advising
- Culminating experience: Thesis and essay options
- Training, testing and clearances
- The accreditation process
- Graduate resources at Marshall
- Graduate Finance: Merit-based aid, travel & meeting grants, and employment
- Professional issues: Communication, deadlines, ethics.
We will be having a series of faculty presentations in the morning, followed by individual and group activities. We will barbeque in the afternoon, hold a short work meeting, and break at approximately 3:00 pm.
- 8:30 - 9:30 Breakfast
- 9:30 – 11:00 Faculty Presentations (Research and training opportunities)
- 11:00 - 1:00 Break for individual /group activities
- 1:00 - 2:30 Barbeque
- 2:30 - 3:00 First assignments
- Rent a pedal boat, canoe, kayak or row boat
- Explore the Park: Hiking, walking and biking trails available.
- Pick a sport at the Wooten Recreation Area: Basketball, tennis, horseshoes, softball and volleyball courts available for use. Equipment available for rent.
- Take a swim in the Olympic pool (child’s pool is adjacent)
Directions from Campus: Take Hal Greer Blvd south (becomes route 10). Four miles past the Cabell Medical Campus, turn right on Green Valley Road. Follow this road approx. 4 miles, then turning right onto Hughes Branch Road. As you near the main entrance turn left on Beech Fork Road and proceed to the Wooten Recreation Area. We are meeting at Shelter #3 (just below the Swimming facility).
For more information, see: Brochure on Beech Fork State Park