MASTER OF ARTS IN ENGLISH (GL40)
Corbly Hall 346 (map)
Dr. Kristen Lillvis
- AREAS OF EMPHASIS OFFERED:
- TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- 36 credit hours.
- NORMAL TIME TO COMPLETE FOR FULL-TIME STUDENT:
- 2 years.
- PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:
- The program offers several areas of specialization and opportunities to participate in a number of related activities such as the literary magazine, Et Cetera.
- PROGRAM OBJECTIVES:
- The English M.A. at Marshall is designed to meet the increasingly diverse needs of today’s graduate students. Students are encouraged to approach their studies from the perspective that best serves their academic purposes and/or career plans, be it Literary Studies, Composition/Rhetoric, Creative Writing and/or TESOL/Linguistics. Upon completion of the program, students will be able to articulate core issues in Literary Studies, Composition/Rhetoric, Creative Writing, and/or TESOL/Linguistics from diverse perspectives; critique the major figures, works, and ideas in one or more of the above areas; apply relevant research methods and approaches to inquiry; articulate recent developments in their field of study as influenced by other disciplines; elucidate major critical and cultural theories and assess sources on those theories in relation to the field; and prepare a capstone project that demonstrates advanced knowledge and applied learning in their chosen field.
- JOBS RELATED TO THIS PROGRAM:
- For more information, please click on the links below to the O*NET website supported by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- 25-1123.00 English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- 25-2031.00 Secondary School TeachersBright Outlook
- 27-3041.00 Editors
- 27-3042.00 Technical Writers
- APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR ADMISSION:
- Fall enrollment: August 1; Spring enrollment: December 1; Summer enrollment: May 1
- GRE OR OTHER TEST REQUIRED:
- PROGRAM LOCATION: