Graduate Certificate in School Library Media Specialist
Program Director: Dr. Lisa Heaton
The Graduate Certificate in School Library Media Specialist requires 24 hours of course credit. The certificate prepares K-12 teachers to manage school library media centers, collaborate with faculty to support the school curriculum and facilitate information literacy.
- Provides a certificate endorsement program for elementary and secondary teachers who have met initial licensure requirements.
- Many of the required courses are offered online.
Gainful Employment Program Disclosure:
- Student pursuing the graduate certificate in School Library Media Specialist are eligible for federal financial aid providing they takes at least 4.5 hours (1/2 time enrollment) in a semester.
- Under the Code of Federal Regulations 668.6B, the following information is provided to prospective students seeking only the certificate (not simultaneously with a degree) to help them make informed decisions about this program, which does not lead to a degree. NOTE: Standard Occupational Classification (“SOC”) codes are issued by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor. The SOC is linked to the occupational profile on O*NET, the nation’s primary source of occupational information.
|Intended Occupation for Certificate Holders||Standard Occupation Code|
|Audio-Visual Collections Specialists||25-9011|
|Audio-Visual Collections Specialists||25-9010|
Standard Time to Completion: 2-3 semesters.
|Curriculum: 8 courses | 24 credits|
|ITL 501 Libraries and the Learning Process
ITL 502 Library Materials for Adolescents
ITL 515 Reference and Bibliography
ITL 622 Cataloging
ITL 625 Library Organization and Administration
ITL 631 Technology and the Library. 3 hrs.
ITL 650 Library Practice (Field Work).
CIRG 613 Children’s Literature
Cost of books and supplies (estimate): $500
Information about Students who have Completed the Certificate-Only Program in the Most Recent Full Year (December 2010-August 2011):
NOTE: On-Time Completion Rate is the percentage of students who graduated between December 2010-August 2011, who completed this program in the normal completion time.
- Number of certificate-only students enrolled: 37
- Number of certificate-only students completing: data incomplete
- On-Time Completion Rate: note this is a 24 credit hour program
- Job Placement Rate: data incomplete
- Median Loan Debt: data incomplete
Certificate Application Essentials
How to apply:
- Prospective certificate-only students should apply for admission to Marshall University as a Certificate/Professional Development student and select the School Library Media Specialist Certificate on the application form.
- Applicants should follow the admissions process described in the Graduate Catalog, or at the Graduate Admissions website.
Deadline for Application: December 1 (Spring semester); August 1 (Fall Semester); May 1 (Summer)