The complete information packet, rules and candidate application will be distributed at our Homecoming Court interest meetings. Candidates MUST attend at least one of these meetings to receive the information and qualify for Court.
September 19, 2017 9:00 p.m.
September 20, 2017 10:00 a.m.
September 21, 2017 1:30 p.m.
September 25, 2017 9 p.m.
September 27, 2017 4 p.m.
Memorial Student Center, Shawkey Dining Room
Candidates must have a sponsorship from a university recognized student organization or team, residence hall floor or association. The sponsoring group must fill out the sponsorship form and attach a letter of recommendation for the candidate. The sponsoring group may only sponsor ONE candidate.
Sponsorship form and letter of recommendation are due by September 27, 2017 at 12:00pm. These must be presented in person at the Office of Student Activities, MSC 2W40.
• Must be sponsored by a recognized student organization or team, or residence hall floor or association.
• Must be a student currently enrolled and in good standing at Marshall University
• Minimum GPA of 2.75
• Must complete an application and must give permission to the Office of Student Affairs to review GPA, conduct, and overall university status.
• Must be willing to allow picture and biographical information to be used in the promotion of Homecoming activities
• Must participate in an interview with a committee of judges
• Must participate or be in attendance at Homecoming activities sponsored by the Office of Student
Activities such as Meet the Court, the Unity Walk, the parade and bonfire, picnic, etc.
• Students cannot be sponsored by more than one recognized student organization or team, or residence hall floor or association
• Must be able to fulfill all duties as Mr. or Miss Marshall as outlined in this packet or your title will be revoked
Selection of Homecoming Court
• Informational meetings for all candidates will be held September 19, 20 and 21. You must attend at least one in order to be eligible for court selection. Failure to attend will result in removal from candidacy.
• Candidates must submit the application packet by 12:00pm on September 27 in person at the Office of Student Activities, MSC 2W40. Candidates must ensure that they have a sponsoring organization that has turned in the sponsorship packet and recommendation letter as well.
• Students will be notified if their candidacy is accepted and if they are eligible to campaign. This notification will be done by email on the afternoon of Friday, September 29.
• Eligible candidates can campaign from the time of candidacy notification to the completion of the first vote.
• Voting will take place October 2 through 6 and will close at 5:00pm Voters will have the ability to select up to three (3) candidates from both Mr. and Miss Marshall
• The top five female and top five male*** candidates, as demonstrated by the first vote for Homecoming Court, will receive a phone call to schedule interviews. Unsuccessful candidates will get an email notification.
• Interviews will be conducted October 10-12 in the Memorial Student Center. Candidates will be given an interview score that will be combined with student votes to determine the top five candidates for Miss Marshall and the top five candidates for Mr. Marshall that will make up the Homecoming Court. (Interviews 30% Votes 70%)
• Scores will be calculated and verified by the Office of Student Affairs.
• The court will be announced at the Unity Walk celebration on Monday, October 9. All candidates will receive the details of this event in advance.
• Each member of the court will need to secure a car to participate in the Homecoming parade.
• The winners of Mr. and Miss Marshall will be announced at halftime of the Homecoming football game.
• Campaigning is restricted to Marshall students ONLY.
• Families, friends, faculty and staff cannot assist in campaigning.
• Candidates may not campaign using alcohol or drugs. Any reference to alcohol or drugs will not be tolerated.
• All University policies must be followed during campaigning, including:
-Sign posting guidelines
-Student Code of Conduct
• Candidates may not negatively reference other candidates in their campaign. Be respectful!
• Candidates may continue to campaign on the days of voting.
• Applications due on September 27 by 12:00pm
• Campaigning begins on October 2 and runs until October 6 at 5:00pm
• Interviews will be conducted October 10-12 in the Memorial Student Center
• Announcement of the Court will be at the Unity Walk on October 9
Mr and Miss Marshall Duties
• Capitol Classic Basketball Game
• Marshall University Day at the Capitol
• Alumni Weekend events
• Homecoming 2018 to crown the new Mr. and Miss Marshall
• Special requests by the Office of the President, the Office of Communications, or the Office of Student Affairs, if requested a month in advance
***Marshall University and the Homecoming Committee are inclusive of all gender identities. If you have questions, please contact Dakota Maddox at firstname.lastname@example.org.