The complete information packet, rules and candidate application will be distributed at our Homecoming Court interest meetings on September 26 at 8pm, September 28 at 9am and September 29 at 12:30pm in the Memorial Student Center. ALL MEETINGS HELD IN 2E37 JOHN SPOTTS ROOM. You MUST attend at least one of these meetings to get the information and to qualify for Court.
Candidates must have a sponsorship from a university recognized student organization or team, residence hall floor or association. The sponsoring group must fill out the sponsorship form and attach a letter of recommendation for the candidate. The sponsoring group may only sponsor ONE candidate.
The sponsorship form and letter of recommendation are due by September 30, 2016 at 4:00pm. These must be presented in person at the Office of Student Activities, MSC 2W40.
• Must be sponsored by a recognized student organization or team, or residence hall floor or association.
• Must be a student currently enrolled and in good standing at Marshall University
• Minimum GPA of 2.75
• Must complete an application and must give permission to the Office of Student Affairs to review GPA, conduct, and overall university status.
• Must be willing to allow picture and biographical information to be used in the promotion of Homecoming activities
• Must participate in an interview with a committee of judges on Monday, October 10, 2016
• Must participate or be in attendance at Homecoming activities sponsored by the Office of Student Activities such as Meet the Court, the Unity Walk, the parade and bonfire, etc.
• Students cannot be sponsored by more than one recognized student organization or team, or residence hall floor or association
• Must be able to fulfill all duties as Mr. or Miss Marshall as outlined in this packet or your title will be revoked
Selection of Homecoming Court
• Informational meetings for all candidates will be held September 26, 28 and 29. You must attend at least one in order to be eligible for court selection. Failure to attend will result in removal from candidacy.
• Candidates must submit the application packet by 4:00pm on September 30 in person at the Office of Student Activities, MSC 2W40. Candidates must ensure that they have a sponsoring organization that has turned in the sponsorship packet and recommendation letter as well.
• Students will be notified if their candidacy is accepted and if they are eligible to campaign. This notification will be done by email on the afternoon of Monday, October 3.
• Eligible candidates can campaign from the time of candidacy notification to the completion of the first vote.
• The first vote will take place October 4 and 5 from 10:00am – 10:00pm in the Memorial Student Center. Voters will be allowed to choose up to three (3) candidates for both Mr. and Miss Marshall.
• The top four female and top four male*** candidates, as demonstrated by the first vote for Homecoming Court, will receive a phone call on October 7, 2016 between 4:00pm – 5:00pm to schedule interviews. Unsuccessful candidates will get an email notification on October 7. Campaigning can continue after 4:00pm on October 7 until October 12 at 10:00pm.
• Interviews will be conducted on Monday, October 10 in the Memorial Student Center. Candidates will be given an interview score that will be combined with student votes to determine the top four candidates for Miss Marshall and the top four candidates for Mr. Marshall that will make up the Homecoming Court. (Final score breakdown: Court Interviews 20% Court Votes 80%)
• The second round of voting will be held on October 11-12 from 10:00am – 10:00pm in the MSC. Voters will only be allowed to select 0ne (1) candidate for each Mr. and Miss Marshall.
• Scores will be calculated and verified by the Office of Student Affairs.
• The court will be announced at the Unity Walk celebration on Tuesday, October 11 at 5:00pm. All candidates will receive the details of this event in advance.
• Each member of the court will need to secure a car to participate in the Homecoming parade.
• The winners of Mr. and Miss Marshall will be announced at halftime of the Homecoming football game.
***Marshall University and the Homecoming Committee are inclusive of all gender identities. If you have questions, please contact Lee Tabor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Campaigning is restricted to Marshall students ONLY.
• Families, friends, faculty and staff cannot assist in campaigning.
• Candidates may not campaign using alcohol or drugs. Any reference to alcohol or drugs will not be tolerated.
• All University policies must be followed during campaigning, including:
-Sign posting guidelines
-Student Code of Conduct
• Candidates may not negatively reference other candidates in their campaign. Be respectful!
• Candidates may continue to campaign on the days of voting.
• Applications due on September 30
• Campaigning begins on September October 3 and runs until October 5 at 10:00pm
• First vote October 4 – 5
• Campaigning reopens on October 7 at 4:00pm and runs until October 12 at 10:00pm
• Interviews are on Monday, October 10
• Second vote October 11-12
• Announcement of the Court will be at the Unity Walk on October 11 at 5pm
Mr and Miss Marshall Duties
• Capitol Classic Basketball Game
• Marshall University Day at the Capitol
• Alumni Weekend events
• Homecoming 2017 to crown the new Mr. and Miss Marshall
• Special requests by the Office of the President, the Office of Communications, or the Office of Student Affairs, if requested a month in advance
More details will be provided upon attendance at the required interest informational meetings on September 26, 28 or 29.