H1-B Other Questions
- Can I get a Social Security card?
- A social security number may be applied for IF you have secured legal employment.
- How do I get a Social Security card?
- First, you must have a job or an offer of a job. You will need to bring a letter from your employer stating your job description, location of employment, and number of hours you will work per week. Your International Student Advisor will issue you a letter that you will take along with the letter from your employer, a Social Security application form (available in the CIP Office), passport, visa, I-94, and I-20 to the Social Security Office. Consult an International Student Advisor for additional information.
- How do I get a WV driver’s license?
- H-1B workers are eligible to apply for a WV driver’s license. You will need a letter issued by an International Student Advisor stating you are currently working at Marshall University. To request a letter, you must fill out the “Action Request Form” and return to the CIP Office. If you are applying for a driver’s license, you will need to take a written exam and will also need to complete a driving test. For more information, please go to http://local.dmv.org/west-virginia/cabell-county/huntington/dmv-office-locations.php.