Attend an Academic English to Pathway Progression Event
Choose one (no registration required):
- Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 2:00pm
Register for an ISS Progression Workshop
During the ISS Progression Workshop, ISS will assist with the following tasks:
- Completing the Financial Certification Form and Submitting Financial Documents
- This will take care of the Immigration Obligation (IO) hold for AE to PW Financial Documents.
- Submit a Travel Signature Request
- This is only necessary if you plan to travel abroad between semesters.
- Pay for I-20 shipping
- This is only necessary if you will be outside the US when your I-20 is prepared.
- Upload an MU FERPA Release Form
- This is only necessary if someone other than yourself will be picking up your I-20.
- Answer questions about Program Extension Forms
- This is only necessary if you are not going to meet all necessary requirements for progression.
Be sure to bring your financial documentation and passport with you to the ISS Progression Workshop!
Prepare Your Financial DocumentationIn order to update your I-20 after successfully completing Academic English, you must provide updated financial documentation. Financial documentation must be no older than 6 months. Proof of financial support is required for each subsequent program. Multiple sources of funding are acceptable, but financial documentation must be provided for each source of funding. Be advised that Designated School Officials in the Office of International Student Services reserve the right to reject submitted financial documentation or request additional information, proof, or financial documentation on a case-by-case basis.
Types of Financial Documentation
- Affidavit of Support (preferred)The Affidavit of Support (Statement Section only) is required if funding is being provided by a family or friend.
On the bottom of the Affidavit of Support is a Bank Certification Section. The completed Affidavit of Support, including Bank Certification Section (with bank seal), is acceptable in lieu of a bank statement. Submitting the Affidavit of Support is the best and preferred way to show proof of financial support.
- If funding is being provided by a person other than you, be sure to email or fax a blank Affidavit of Support to your sponsor for them to complete and have certified by their bank.
- If you are using personal funds, complete the Statement Section and take to your bank in the US to be certified.
- Bank StatementsIf you are self-funded or receiving funding from a person other than yourself AND do not wish to complete the Affidavit of Support (above), then a bank statement is required to show proof of financial support. Please remember that bank statements must be no older than 6 months and show a current and available balance equal to or greater than the amount required for your new program (see chart about for amounts).
- Loan LettersIf you are using funds from a loan to fund your studies, you will need to obtain an updated loan letter from your financial institution. Loan letters must be dated within the previous 6 months.
- University Scholarship or Assistantship AwardIf you are awarded a scholarship or assistantship, an award letter must be provided that indicates the amount of the award.
- Government Funding, Scholarship, or SponsorIf you are receiving a scholarship or sponsorship from the government in your home country, you will need to provide an updated Financial Guarantee as proof of financial support.
Proof of Financial Support Amounts
|Amount to Add for Dependents|
1 semester: $5,393
Full Year: $14,935
1 semester: $2,690
Full Year: $7,449
Complete the Financial Certification and Upload Your Financial Documentation
During the ISS Progression Workshop, ISS will assist you with submitting the Financial Certification Form and uploading financial documentation. Be sure to bring your financial documentation (electronic and/or originals), passport and visa with you!
Option 1: Upload financial documentation in an ISS Progression Workshop (preferred – registration required):
Option 2: Upload financial documentation online through the Financial Certification form (if you cannot attend the ISS Progression Workshop):
If you are completing the financial certification form on your own, be sure that for “Select the reason you are submitting proof of financial support” you choose “I am in my final term of Academic English and expect to begin Pathway next semester”.
Let ISS know if you plan to travel outside the US between semesters
Frequently Asked Questions about Travel During Progression
- Do I need a travel signature to travel inside the United States?No, you do not need a travel signature to travel in the United States. In fact, you may travel anywhere in the United States before you receive your new I-20 and you are not required to inform ISS of your travel plans within the United States.
- Can I reenter the United States with my old I-20?No. When you reenter the United States, you must provide accurate and correct information to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer. This includes your new I-20 for your new program.
- Can I leave the United States before I receive my new I-20?You can choose to leave the United States before receiving your I-20, but we do not recommend it. You will need to pay for shipping through UEMS eShipGlobal in order to receive your I-20 while you are abroad.
- What documents do I need to reenter the United States after traveling abroad?Students who are currently enrolled and/or intend to enroll for the upcoming semester will need the following documents to reenter the U.S.:
- Passport valid for 6 months following date of entry
- Valid F-1 visa
- Current I-20
- Valid travel signature from a Designated School Official (valid for one year while enrolled)
- Copy of financial documentation (strongly recommended)
- Copy of course schedule (not required but recommended)
- If my old I-20 has a valid travel signature, do I still need a new travel signature?Yes. Since you will be starting a new program, you will need a new travel signature on the new I-20.
Receive your new I-20
Frequently Asked Questions About Receiving the I-20
- What documents do I need to submit to receive my I-20?In order to receive your new I-20, you must submit:
- Sufficient financial documentation, submitted online through the Financial Certification Form. The Financial Certification Form should indicate that you are progressing from Academic English to Pathway.
- No other forms are needed for ISS to update your I-20. INTO will provide us with confirmation that students have progressed to their Pathway program.
- When will I receive my I-20?The Office of International Student Services typically begins issuing new I-20s 1 week after grades are posted. You will receive email notification to your MU email once the I-20 is ready.
- How can I receive my new I-20?There are several ways to receive your new I-20:
- Pick-up during regular business hours at the front desk of the Welcome Center
- Ask a friend or family member to pick-up your I-20 for you (notarized MU FERPA release form required)
- Receive your I-20 via regular post mail
- Pay for shipping through UEMS eShipGlobal
Check out Document Pick-Up & Delivery for more information.
- Why do I need a new I-20?Your I-20 is your Certificate of Eligibility and must remain accurate and up-to-date at all times. Your Academic English I-20 shows your education level of Language Training and the duration of Academic English. Since you will be progressing and starting your new program, you will need your I-20 to reflect your new program.
- Do I need to purchase insurance BEFORE I can receive my I-20?No. Proof of health insurance is NOT required to receive your I-20. However, proof of health insurance IS REQUIRED to lift the hold on your MyMU and register for classes.
- Do I need to register for classes before I get my I-20?No, you can register for classes before or after you receive your I-20. Be aware of registration deadlines.