On Display

What's Happening At The Graduate College Library?

A traveling exhibit that celebrates the rich history of the historic Glenwood Estate on Charleston's West Side can be viewed beginning Friday, Jan. 23 when it will be unveiled at a reception from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the Marshall University Graduate College Library in South Charleston. The reception is free and open to the public.

The six-panel display with an accompanying extensive Web site will give a detailed look at the estate, which was home to three of the Kanawha Valley's most prominent families: the Laidleys, Quarriers and Summers. The display and Web site will give a glimpse into the complex history and the impact the Glenwood Estate has had on the Kanawha Valley both historically and culturally.

Glenwood is a pre-Civil War mansion that was built in 1852 on a vast estate that extended over much of what is now the West Side of Charleston. The early owners passed the estate down to heirs until the last owner, Lucy Quarrier, deeded the remaining property to the West Virginia College of Graduate Studies Foundation in 1978. Last year ownership was transferred to the newly established Historic Glenwood Foundation, Inc., which now maintains it.

The traveling exhibit is Phase II of a three-part Glenwood Project initiated by the Graduate Humanities Program, which is housed on the South Charleston campus. The Glenwood Project is funded in large part by the West Virginia Humanities Council.

Students in two graduate seminars developed and constructed the exhibit, which will be circulating for the next two years. One aim of the project is to make the carefully documented history, made in part through archaeological finds and historic analysis, more accessible to the public.

Organizations can book the exhibit for four to six weeks by contacting Dr. Luke Eric Lassiter, Graduate Humanities Program Director, at 304-746-1923 or Additional information about the project or the Glenwood Estate can be found at

More information may also be found in this article in the Charleston Gazette:  (1-23-09)