Graduate Student Research
Graduate students in the department's Master's program have the option of taking an
oral comprehensive examination or writing a thesis. Students who wish to write a thesis
should speak with the Chair of Graduate Studies during the first year, to make sure that
their plan of study is appropriate.
Many faculty in the department are willing to advice Master's theses; interested students should
consult the list of faculty research interests and contact possible mentors directly.
Recent Master's Theses
Marshall University publishes Master's theses on the ETD web site (through 2011) and the Marshall Digital Scholar website (from 2011 to present).
- Evan Boyd, A New Method for Ranking Quarterback Fantasy Performance with Assessment Using Distances Between Rankings,2014. Advisor: Dr. Laura Adkins.
Molly Kathryn Peterson,
Mechanical Visualization of a Second Order Dynamic Equation on Varying Time Scales, 2014. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Patrick Stewart,
A Generalized Inflated Poisson Distribution, 2014. Advisor: Dr. Avishek Mallick.
- Alaa Elkadry, Transmission Rate in Partial Differential Equation in Epidemic Models, 2013. Advisor: Dr. Anna Mummert.
- Kayode Olumoyin, Solutions of Dynamic Equations on Time Scales with Jumps, 2013. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Maggie Chenoweth, A Local Radial Basis Function Method for the Numerical Solution
of Partial Differential Equations, 2012. Advisor: Dr. Scott Sarra.
- Nonhle Channon Mdziniso, Quotients of the beta-Weibull Distribution, 2012. Advisor: Dr. Alfred Akinsete.
- Alaeddine Saadaoui, On the Logic of Reverse Mathematics, 2012. Advisor: Dr. Carl Mummert.
- Sher B. Chhetri, Solutions to Dynamic Equations on Varying Times Scales. Mathematics, 2011. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Thomas Cuchta, Infinitesimal Time Scale Calculus, 2011. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Richard Merritt, The Theory of `Art': Qualitative in Nature and Quantitative in Practice, 2011. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Jianan Sun, Statistical Properties of a Convoluted β-Weibull Distribution, 2011. Advisor: Dr. Alfred Akinsete.
- Clyde Meador, Numerical Calculation of Lyapunov Exponents for Three Dimensional Systems of Ordinary Differential Equations, 2011. Advisor: Dr. Anna Mummert.
- Grace Amusan, The β-Maxwell Distribution, 2010. Advisor: Dr. Alfred Akinsete.
- Sydney Thembinkosi Mkhatshwa, Super-spreading Events, 2010. Advisor: Dr. Anna Mummert.
- Devon Anne Tivener, Mathematics in Motion: Linear Systems of Autonomous Differential Equations on the Differential Analyzer, 2010. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Xun Sun, Twin Solutions of Even Order Boundary Value Problems for Ordinary Differential Equations and Finite Difference Equations, 2009. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Derek Joseph Sturgill, Variable Shape Parameter Strategies in Radial Basis Function Methods, 2009. Advisor: Dr> Scott Sarra.
- Olusegun Michael Otunuga, Finding Positive Solutions of Boundary Value Dynamic Equations on Time Scale, 2009. Advisor: Dr. Basant Karna.
- Steven Anthony Lacek, Non-preemptive Shunting in M/M/1 and Dynamic Service Queueing Systems, 2008. Advisor: Dr. Alfred Akinsete.
- Tue Ngoc Ly, Limiting Problems in Integration and An Extension of the Real Numbers System, 2008. Advisor: Dr. Ariyadasa Aluthge.
- Keshav Prasad Pokhrel, A Study of Present Value Maximization of the Monopolist in Time Scales, 2008. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Lin Yuan, Analysis of Listing Price Option on Ebay Market, 2008. Advisor: Dr. Alfred Akinsete.
- Hui Luo, Population Modeling by Differential Equations, 2007. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Elizabeth R. Duke, Solving Higher Order Dynamic Equations on Time Scales as First Order Systems, 2006. Advisor: Dr. Bonita A. Lawrence.
- Kelli J. Hall, Dynamic Equations on Changing Time Scales: Dynamics of Given Logistic Problems, Parameterization, and Convergence of Solutions, 2006. Advisor: Dr. Bonita Lawrence
- Christopher Aaron Johnson, Applications of Computational Homology, 2006. Advisor: Dr. Peter Saveliev
- Leslie Lillian Kerns, Geometric Field Stability and Normal Field Curvature of Solution Sets of Ordinary Differential Equations in Two Variables, 2006. Advisor: Dr. Ralph Oberste-Vorth.
- Shannon Nicole Miller, The Dynamics of Newton's Method on Cubic Polynomials, 2006. Advisor: Dr. Ralph Oberste-Vorth.
- Diana Elizabeth Fisher, Convergence Analysis of MCMC Method in the Study of Genetic Linkage with Missing Data, 2005. Advisor: Dr. Alfred Akinsete.
- Rob-Roy Lee Mace, Reduction of the Gibbs Phenomenon Via Interpolation Using Chebyshev Polynomials, Filtering and Chebyshev-pade Approximations, 2005. Advisor: Dr. Scott Sarra.
- Nicholas J. Wintz, Eigenvalue Comparisons for An Impulsive Boundary Value Problem with Sturm-Liouville Boundary Conditions, 2004. Advisor:
Dr. Bonita Lawrence.
- Misty Dawn Wood, A Frenet-Serret Apparatus on S2, 2004. Advisor: Dr. Judith Silver
The department has a LaTeX class that can be used by students who wish to prepare their theses in