Sandrine Pierre, Ph.D.
Sandrine Pierre, Ph.D.
Associate Investigator and Education Coordinator
Adjunct Associate Professor of Pharmacology, Physiology and Toxicology, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Dr. Sandrine Pierre was named associate investigator and education coordinator at the Marshall Institute for Interdisciplinary Research in February 2014.
Pierre most recently was on the faculty of the University of Toledo College of Medicine, where she had served as an associate professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Cancer Biology since July 2013. Prior to that, she was an assistant professor in the same department. From 2003 to 2011, she was an assistant professor in the college’s Department of Physiology and Pharmacology. In addition, she was a research instructor and post-doctoral fellow in the Department of Physiology at Texas Tech University from 2000-2003.
She has a bachelor’s degree in cell biology and a doctorate in cell communication in endocrinology from Aix-Marseille II University in France. She is an active member of the steering committee of the American Physiology Society’s Cell and Molecular Physiology section.
Pierre’s group at MIIR is focused on exploring new treatments for heart attacks and other cardiovascular conditions by studying how the dual role of the “sodium-potassium pump,” Na+, K+-ATPase, regulates cardiac cell physiology in health and diseases.
As the institute’s education coordinator, Pierre also works with Marshall academic program directors to facilitate students’ access to research opportunities in the MIIR labs.
- B.S., Cell Biology/Immunology, 1996, Aix-Marseille II University, France
- M.Sc., Cell Communication in Endocrinology, 1997, Aix-Marseille II University, France
- Ph.D., Cell Communication in Endocrinology, 2000, Aix-Marseille II University, France
- Associate Investigator and Education Coordinator, Marshall Institute for Interdisciplinary Research, Marshall University, February 2014-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Toledo College of Medicine, Health Science Campus, 2003-2014
- Research Instructor, Department of Physiology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, February 2003-August 2003
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physiology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, 2000-2003
- The integrity of Na+,K+-ATPase protein complexes at the cell surface of the cardiac myocyte is not only critical for the maintenance of ion homeostasis, it is also key to adequate initiation and transduction of digitalis signalling and subsequent pharmacological effects. We focus on the mechanism of ischemia/reperfusion-induced Na+,K+-ATPase alteration and preconditioning by digitalis as tools to develop novel approaches for therapeutic intervention in myocardial infarction
- Pierre, S., Jamme, I., Droy-Lefaix, M-T., Nouvelot, A., and Maixent, J-M.(1999) Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) protects NA,K-ATPase activity during cerebral ischemia in mice. NeuroReport 10, 47-51.
- Sennoune, S., Gerbi, A., Duran, M-J., Benkoel, L., Pierre, S., Lambert, R., Dodero, F., Chamlian, A., Vague, P., and Maixent, J-M.(1999) Quantitative immunocytochemical study of NA,K-ATPase in rat hepatocytes after STZ-induced diabetes and dietary fish oil supplementation. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 47, 809-816.
- Gerbi, A., Sennoune, S., Pierre, S., Sampol, J., Raccah, D., Vague, P., and Maixent, J-M.(1999) Localization of NA+,K+-ATPase alpha/beta isoforms in rat sciatic nerves: Effect of diabetes and fish oil treatment. J. Neurochem. 73, 719-726.
- Barbey, O., Pierre, S., Duran, M-J., Sennoune, S., Levy, S., and Maixent, J-M.(2000) Specific up-regulation of mitochondria F0F1-ATPase activity after short episodes of atrial fibrillation in sheep. J. Cardiovasc. Electrophys. 11, 432-438.
- Maixent, J-M., Barbey, O., Pierre, S., Duran, J-J., Sennoune, S., Bourdeaux, M., Ricard, P., and Levy, S.(2000) Inhibition of NA,K-ATPase by external electrical cardioversion in a sheep model of atrial fibrillation. J. Cardiovasc. Electrophys. 11, 439-445.
- Sennoune, S., Gerbi, A., Duran, M-J., Grillasca, J-P., Compe, E., Pierre, S., Planells, R., Bourdeaux, M., Vague, P., Pieroni, G., and Maixent, J-M.(2000) Effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on rat liver NA+/K+-ATPase. Eur. J. Biochem. 267, 2071-2078.
- Pierre, S., Paganelli, F., Sennoune, S., Roche, R., Schwinger, R.H.G., Mesana, T., Maixent, J-M.(2001) RT-PCR detection of the NA,K-ATPase beta-3 isoform in human heart. Cell. Mol. Biol. 47, 261-264.
- Pierre, S., Compe, E., Grillasca, J-P., Plannells, R., Sampol, J., Pressley, T., and Maixent, J-M.(2001) RT-PCR detection of NA,K-ATPase subunit isoforms in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVEC): Evidence for the presence of alpha-1 and beta-3. Cell. Mol. Biol. 47, 319-324.
- Maixent, J.M., Duran, M.J., Pierre, S., Sennoune, S., Robert, K., Bernaqrd, M., and Levy, S.(2002) Remodeling of NA,K-ATPase and membrane fluidity after atrial fibrillation in sheep. J. Recept. Signal Transduct. Res. 22, 203-213.
- Pierre, S.V., Duran, M.J., Carr, D.L., and Pressley, T.A.(2002) Structure/function analysis of NA+-K+-ATPase central isoform-specific region: Involvement in protein kinase C regulation. Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 283, F1066-F1074.
- Pierre, S., Jamme, I., Robert, K., Gerbi, A., Duran, M-J., Sennoune, S., Droy-Lefaix, MT, Nouvelot, A., and Maixent, J-M.(2002) Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) protects NA,K-ATPase isoenzymes during cerebral ischemia. Cell. Mol. Biol. 48, 671-679.
- Pierre, S.V., Duran, M.J., Carr, D.L., and Pressley, T.A.(2003) Structure/function analysis of Na,K-ATPase alpha1 and alpha2 central isoform-specific regions reveals their involvement in regulation by protein kinase C. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 986, 260-262.
- Duran, M.J., Pierre, S.V., Carr, D.L., and Pressley, T.A.(2003) Role of the isoform-specific region of the Na,K-ATPase catalytic subunit. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 986, 258-259.
- Duran, M.J., Pierre, S.V., Carr, D.L., and Pressley, T.A.(2004) The isoform-specific region of the Na,K-ATPase catalytic subunit: Role in enzyme kinetics and regulation by protein kinase C. Biochemistry 43, 16174-16183.
- Pressley, T.A., Duran, M.J., and Pierre, S.V.(2005) Regions conferring isoform-specific function in the catalytic subunit of the Na,K-pump. Front. Biosci. 10, 2018-2026.
- Liu, L., Li, J., Liu, J., Yuan, Zhaokai, Pierre, S.V., Qu, W., Zhao, X., and Xie, Z. (2006) Involvement of Na+/K+-ATPase in hydrogen peroxide-induced hypertrophy in cardiac myocytes. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 41, 1548-1556.
- Pasdois, P., Quinlan, C.L., Rissa, A., Tariosse, L., Vinassa, B., Pierre, S.V., Dos Santos, P., and Garlid, K.D.(2007) Ouabain protects rat hearts against ischemia-reperfusion injury via a pathway involving Src kinase, mitoKATP, and ROS. Am. J. Physiol. (Heart Circ. Physiol.) 292:H1470-H1478.
- Pierre, S.V. and Xie, Z.-J. (2006) The Na,K-ATPase Receptor Complex: Its Organization and Membership. Cell Biochem Biophys. 46(3):303-316.
- Pierre, S.V., Yang, C., Yuan, Z., Seminerio, J., Mouas, K., Dos Santos, P., and Xie, Z.J. (2007) Ouabain triggers preconditioning through activation of the Na+,K+-ATPase signaling cascade in rat hearts. Cardiovasc Res. Feb 1;73(3), 488-96. Epub 2006 Nov 6.
- Liang, M., Tian, J., Liu, L., Pierre, S., Liu, J., Shapiro, J., and Xie, Z.J.(2007) Identification of a pool of non-pumping Na/K-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 282:10585-10593.
- Bonello, L., Sbragia, P., Amabile, N., Com, O., Pierre, S.V., Levy, S., and Paganelli, F. (2007) Protective effect of an acute oral loading dose of trimetazidine on myocardial injury following percutaneous coronary intervention. Heart 93: 703-707.
- Liu, L., Zhao, X., Pierre, S.V., and Askari, A. (2007) Association of PI3K-Akt signaling pathway with digitalis-induced hypertrophy of cardiac myocytes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 293(5):C1489-497.
- Costa, A.D., Pierre, S.V., Cohen, M.V., Downey, J.M. and Garlid, K.D. (2008) cGMP signaling in pre- and post-conditioning: the role of mitochondria. Cardiovasc. Res. Jan 15; 77(2);344-352.
- Pierre, S.V., Sottejeau, Y., Gourbeau, J.M., Sánchez, G., Shidyak, A. and Blanco, G. (2008) Isoform specificity of Na-K-ATPase-mediated ouabain signaling. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. Apr; 294(4):F859-F866. Epub 2007 Dec 19.
- Quinlan, C.L., Costa, A.D., Costa, C.L., Pierre, S.V., Dos Santos, P. and Garlid, K.D. Conditioning the Heart Induces Formation of Signalosomes that Interact with Mitochondria to Open MitoKATP. American Journal of Physiology (Heart Circulation Physiology) 295:953-961, 2008.
- Pierre, S.V., Lesnik, P., Moreau, M., Bonello, L., Droy-Lefaix, M.T., Sennoune, S., Duran, M.J., Pressley, T.A., Sampol, J. Chapman, J. and Maixent J.M. (2008) The standardized Ginkgo biloba extract Egb-761 protects vascular endothelium exposed to oxidized low density lipoproteins. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). Oct 26; 54:1032-1042 Suppl:OL1032-42.
- Garlid, K.D., A.D. Costa, C.L. Quinlan, S.V. Pierre, P. Dos Santos. (2009) Cardioprotective signaling to mitochondria. J Mol Cell Cardiol. Jun; 46(6):858-66. -41.
- Morgan EE, Li Z, Stebal C, Belliard A, Tennyson G, Salari B, Garlid KD, Pierre SV. Preconditioning by subinotropic doses of ouabain in the Langendorff perfused rabbit heart. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2010 Mar;55(3):234-9.
- Sottejeau Y, Belliard A, Duran MJ, Pressley TA, Pierre SV. Critical role of the isoform-specific region in alpha1-Na,K-ATPase trafficking and protein Kinase C-dependent regulation. Biochemistry. 2010 May 4;49(17):3602-10.
- Quintas LE, Pierre SV, Liu L, Bai Y, Liu X, Xie ZJ. Alterations of Na+/K+-ATPase function in caveolin-1 knockout cardiac fibroblasts. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2010 Sep;49(3):525-31. Epub 2010 May 6.
- Sottejeau Y, Patel AM, Gerber G, Pierre SV, Maixent JM. Effect of a novel Omegacoeur®/Doluperine® nutritional combination on human embryonic kidney cell viability. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2010 Oct 5;56 Suppl:OL1400-9.
- Duran MJ, Pierre SV, Lesnik P, Pieroni G, Bourdeaux M, Dignat-Georges F, Sampol J, Maixent JM. 7-ketocholesterol inhibits Na,K-ATPase activity by decreasing expression of its α1-subunit and membrane fluidity in human endothelial cells. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2010 Nov 9;56 Suppl:OL1434-41.
- Pierre SV, Belliard A, Sottejeau Y. Modulation of Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase cell surface abundance through structural determinants on the α1-subunit. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011 Jan;300(1):C42-8. Epub 2010 Nov 3.
- Belliard A, Sottejeau Y, Duan Q, Karabin JL, Pierre SV. Modulation of cardiac Na+,K+-ATPase cell surface abundance by simulated Ischemia/Reperfusion and Ouabain Preconditioning. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013; 304: H94-103.
- Bai Y, Morgan EE, Giovannucci DR, Pierre SV, Philipson KD, Askari A and Liu L. Different Roles of the Cardiac Na+/Ca2+-Exchanger in Ouabain-Induced Inotropy, Cell Signaling, and Hypertrophy. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013; 304: H427-35.
- Najjar SM, Ledford KJ, Abdallah SL, Paus A, Russo L, Kaw MK, Ramakrishnan S, Muturi HT, Raphael CK, Lester SG, Heinrich G, Pierre SV, Benndorf R, Kleff V, Jaffa AA, Levy E, Vazquez G, Goldberg IJ, Beauchemin N, Scalia R, Ergün S. Ceacam1 Null Deletion Causes Vascular Alterations in Large Vessels. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 305: E519-29.