Our MPA students are required to complete 270 hours of a practicum with a government or nonprofit agency. Many students arrange to do the practicum with their employers. The practicum experience serves to help students translate skills learned on-campus into a real-world workplace setting. Our MPA director works closely with students to find a practicum that will best suit their needs, and we have placed students in a wide range of positions and locations.
Curious about where our students get their practicum placements? Here’s a list of some of the agencies with which our students have completed their practicums:
- US Department of Commerce International Trade Administration
- West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office
- West Virginia Center for Budget and Policy
- West Virginia Legislature
- City of Huntington – City Manager’s Office
- City of Huntington – Planning Office
- WV CARES
More information about the practicum and its requirements can be found here.
Are you an agency in need of an intern? Download this form: MPA Practicum Information Request Form for Agencies