Dedication as Marshall Academy

March 30, 1838, the institution was formally dedicated by the Virginia General Assembly as Marshall Academy,


Marshall University Founded

Marshall University was founded in 1837 as a private subscription school by residents of Guyandotte and the surrounding area. The landmark Old Main, which now serves as the primary administrative building for the university, was built on land known as Maple Grove, at … Continued