The Early Years
1837-1909

South view of Marshall College State Normal School as it looked in 1885. Old Main, as it is known, and its additions would remain the only buildings until Northcott Hall opened in 1916. Although a school had been at the site since 1837 in one form or the other, the normal school was established in 1867 for the instruction and practice of teachers of the common schools in the art of teaching.

Back    Next