There are several items requested to be included in an online course syllabus. This items include:
- Course title
- Department and College
- Instructor name
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Office location
- How students should communicate with instructor (MUOnline Mail or MU Email) and response time
- Instructor Biography
- Course Start and End Dates
- Drop dates, Reference to Academic Calendar
- Course Descripton
- Course Objectives
- Credit Hours
- Texts and course materials
- Cost of texts and materials
- Hardward/software requirements
- Exam procedures
- Deadlines – exams, assignments,etc
- Time expectations to complete the course
- T-Course – Day/time/location of required face-to-face meetings
In an effort to assist in creating a course syllabus we have create a sample syllabus in Microsoft Word. You may click the link below and download the file to your local computer. (Watch out for your “pop-up blocker”.)
Click Here to download and save a copy of the Sample Syllabus to your local computer.
Once you have added the course information please save the word file then save the file as a .pdf and load the .pdf file into the MUOnline course. See below for instructions.
To save a word file as a .pdf file
- Open the Word version of the syllabus file
- Click the Windows icon in the upper left corner of the window
- Scroll to Save As, then to Adobe PDF and click
- In the new window, select appropriate file name, then click Save.
To load and link the PDF file to the Syllabus tool in MUOnline
- Log into the MUOnline course
- From the Build tab, click Syllabus in the menu
- Select Use File, then Browse
- In the new window, click the My Computer icon
- Locate the file from your local computer, click on the file name, and click Open.
The PDF file is now linked to the Syllabus tool and is saved in the File Manager of the course.