Request to develop
Beginning the process is as simple as 1-2-3!
- Complete the online application to initiate your ticket in the system for tracking purposes.
- Receive a confirmation of your application and then an email from the MUOnLine office (labeled as IT Support) with Step 1 form attached.
- Get required signatures for your Step 1 form and start developing with the instructional designers in the Instructional Design Centers.
Please note that you have one year to complete this process from application date.
Step 1 Form
- Obtain signatures from your chair, dean and Academic Affairs on the Step 1 approval form.
- Submit the Step 1 form with all required signatures by scanning and submitting these materials to your ticket. A paper copy will still be accepted as well as an emailed copy with electronic signatures.
Develop your course
Once your Step 1 form is received, a request is sent to the LMS staff to create your development space. We require you to work with the Instructional Design Center staff while developing your online course to ensure compliance with the Quality Matters (QM) rubric. All three point criteria must be met for your course to be approved.
Contact the Instructional Designer Centers
- Huntington: Drinko Library 235, (304) 696-7117, Hours: M-F, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
- South Charleston, Room 321, (304) 746-1948, Hours: M-F, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
QM Training is also available and paid for by MUOnLine.
We offer QM training, training in the Design Centers, or a combination of both. Using these training resources dramatically increase the likelihood that your course will pass the review process. A pre-review of your course with an instructional designer is required before your course can be submitted for review.
Notification of completed course
Reply to the original ticket you received as an email from “IT Support” when your course is completed and ready for review, and we’ll send you the information to proceed to the next step.
Login info for chair and dean review
Once we receive notification that your course is completed we’ll send you instructions for your chair and dean to log in to review the content of your course. They’ll need to review your course and reply to the email ticket their approval before the course goes to the Distance Education Course Committee (DECC) for the official QM review.
Distance Education Course Committee (DECC) review
When MUOnLine receives emailed approval from the chair and dean, the chair of DECC initiates the peer review:
- A peer review folder is created in SharePoint; the faculty peer review team is selected. (1-3 days)
- The DECC chair assigns three reviewers and facilitates the peer review process. (2-3 weeks)
- Upon completion of the review, the DECC chair notifies the developer of approval statues and/or recommended revisions. (1-3 days)
A course that is not approved by DECC can not be added to the schedule of courses as an ecourse until the necessary revisions are made and the course has been re-reviewed by a designer.
Revision process if necessary
Approved Pending Revisions – If one or two essential standards are not met, the DECC chair provides the developer with a summary of review comments and a proposed timetable for revisions. An instructional designer is assigned to assist the developer in revising the course.
Not Approved – If more than two essential standards are not met, the DECC chair provides the review summary, a proposed timetable, and assigns a designer to assist the developer in revising the course.
When a developer has completed his/her revisions, s/he notifies the DECC chair. The DECC chair verifies the revisions have been completed and notifies the developer of his/her online course approval status. The online course may then be added to the schedule of courses.