Policies and procedures governing the Student Affairs Committees routine activities.
This OP will be reviewed by September of every even-numbered year (start 2012) by the Student Affairs Committee and approved by the Dean and the Executive Council.
200.008.001 Structure, Composition, Duties, and Responsibilities of the Student Affairs Committee (SAC)
The structure, composition, duties and responsibilities of the Student Affairs committee and its subcommittees is dictated by the Marshall University School of Pharmacy (MUSOP) bylaws. Refer to the relevant sections of the current version of the MUSOP bylaws for official policy.
200.008.002 Specific Policies and Procedures of the SAC
To facilitate student transfer to Marshall University from colleges within the greater-Huntington area, MUSOP is in the process of establishing Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) with feeder institutions. These MOU will outline course transfer equivalencies for students who wish to transfer to MU and facilitate application to the School.
In effort to recruit candidates for admission to MUSOP, several sources and techniques of communication will be utilized. They may include the following:
• Development and dissemination of printed materials, pictures, and websites,
• Electronic communications on campus – targeted announcements to identified groups such as College of Science and College of Health Professions students,
• Utilize electronic monitors located throughout campus to notify students of upcoming events,
• Distribution of MUSOP materials and information to MU Office of Recruitment for their recruiters who travel to targeted in-state and out-of-state areas,
• Press releases, promotional advertising, etc,
• Active participation in university-wide recruiting events,
• Engagement in Graduate College information/recruitment sessions,
• Hosting pharmacy school-focused informational sessions on the Marshall University main campus and other targeted locations,
• Connect with students participating in TRIO, Upward Bound programs on campus – TRIO provides support, beginning in high school, for low income and first generation college students.
• Utilize social media; MUSOP will maintain a Facebook page.
Admissions requirements, pre-requisites, application, other requirements are governed by Standard Operating Policy (SOP) # 200.004 and listed in the Student Handbook. Refer to the latest approved versions of each for the current policy.
D. Development of policy for recruitment, admission, progressions, and completion
A two-thirds vote by the faculty as a whole is required to change the existing policies or standards for recruitment, admission, progression, or completion. A request for change in these policies, etc. by a faculty member or group of faculty will initiate the creation of an ad hoc subcommittee of the Student Affairs Committee (SAC) to consider proposed changes and draft suitable recommendations for change. The ad hoc subcommittee will consist of 3 SAC members appointed by the SAC chair; alternatively, one of the subcommittee members can be a non-SAC faculty member supportive of the proposed changes. These changes must first be approved by a majority vote of the Student Affairs Committee (SAC), then presented to the faculty as a whole for a vote. The ad hoc committee shall exist only so long as to make the faculty requested changes. SAC members of the ad hoc subcommittee have the option of rotating off the subcommittee if their term with the SAC has ended; however, they may remain with the subcommittee if they choose to continue.
Alternatively, the SAC can by a majority vote propose to change the existing policies or standards for recruitment, admission, progression, or completion. In this case an ad hoc committee would not be needed. The SAC would then present the proposed changes to the faculty as a whole for approval.
E. Standards for scholarships, awards, and prizes
The Student Awards Subcommittee of the SAC shall initially establish the standards for the awarding of professional pharmacy student scholarships, awards and prizes. These standards will be established when approved by a majority vote of the SAC. Any substantive changes to those standards require approval by the SAC.
F. Change of standards for scholarships, awards, and prizes
Changes to the standards for the awarding of professional pharmacy student scholarships, awards and prizes can be proposed by any faculty member. The Student Awards Subcommittee will consider those changes and make recommendations for change to the SAC, which will then vote on those recommendations.
G. Supervision of the awarding of scholarships, awards and prizes
The Student Awards Subcommittee will operate per the School of Pharmacy bylaws and seek nominations and applications for student awards, including School administered scholarships, cash awards and other awards for achievement, and recommend recipients to SAC. The SAC shall consider the recommendations and vote to identify students for each award and recommend the recipients to the Dean.
200.008.003 Chart of Responsibilities for the SAC and its Subcommittees
Below is a chart of the SAC its subcommittees and individuals or groups it interacts with for carrying out its mission. It is intended to serve as a quick overview of the policies listed above and in the School’s bylaws and applicable SOPs and it not intended to contradict or override any official policy.
* According to MUSOP bylaws Article III, Section C, subsection 2. “student and practitioner members of this committee shall not have access to students’ records, and shall not participate in student grievance and progression proceedings.”
# Students on the SAC and subcommittees, combined, have one vote on the respective committee per the MUSOP bylaws Article III, Section C, subsection 1.(4)