THE MINUTES OF THE MARSHALL UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE MEETING HELD
MEMBERS PRESENT: Uday Tate, Joe Stone, Deepak Subedi, Maurice Lockridge (Assistant Chair), Linda Dobbs, Jonathan Cox, Joan St. Germain, Brian Morgan, Ralph Oberste-Vorth, Bonita Lawrence, Karen Mitchell, Basant Karna, Huong Nguyen, Tom Jones, Burnis Morris, Jennifer Perry, Karen McNealy, Kelly Harlow, Sandra Prunty, Pat Conlon, Wael Zatar, Chuck Bailey, Eldon Larsen, Janet Dozier, Jennifer Mak, Mary Jo Graham, Gregg Twietmeyer, Keith Beard, Camilla Brammer (Chair), Marty Laubach, Donna Sullivan, Barbara Tarter, Christina Burgueno, Christine Huhn, Chair White, Genevieve Meyers, Kathleen Bledsoe, Jennifer Sias (Recording Secretary), Nancy Norton, Tina Sias, Mike Goldman, Rudy Wang, Elaine Hardman, Charles Clements, Pier Paolo Claudio, and Tracy Christofero.
MEMBERS ABSENT: Rex McClure, Mark Zanter, Liz Murray, Eric Arnold, Thomas Linz, Ernest Walker, and Sandra Stroebel.
PARLIAMENTARIAN: Cheryl Brown present.
GUESTS: Bill Rosenberger, Clark Davis, Sholten Singer, Leannda Carey, Larry Stickler, Whitney Burdette, Aaron Ryan, Dallas Brozik, Frances Hensley, Bill Pierson, Mary Todd, Corley Dennison, Stephen Tipler, Elizabeth Hanrahan, Robert Bookwalter, Jamie Warner, George Davis, David Pittenger, Chris Green, Rosalyn Templeton, James Terry, Mary Beth Reynolds, Sherri Smith, Steve Hensley, Chong Kim, Stephen Kopp, Rudy Pauley, Monica Brooks, and Morgan Jameson.
Declaring that there was a quorum, Faculty Senate Chair, Dr. Camilla Brammer called the meeting to order at approximately 4:00 p.m.
1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Minutes of the September 24, 2009 meeting were approved as read.
Dr. Camilla Brammer
A. Welcomed and introduced new senators: Thomas Linz and Genevieve Meyers both from COLA.
B. Announced a reminder that Senators should sit around the table, others should sit at the chairs provided and cell phones should be set to “silent” mode. To ensure an accurate recording of the meeting, Senators should use the microphones when speaking and are to state their name and department.
C. Announced that the next meeting of the Faculty Senate is scheduled for Thursday, November 19, 2009 beginning at 4:00 p.m. in room BE5 of the Memorial Student Center.
D. Announced the October meeting schedule: ACF – scheduled to meet October 23, 2009 in Fairmont, WV; HEPC – no meeting scheduled until November; and MUBOG – met October 15 2009 in Huntington, WV.
E. Solicited a volunteer to serve on the Hedrick committee. DONNA SULLIVAN VOLUNTEERED.
F. Solicited a volunteer to serve as Liaison on the Budget & Academic Policy Committee. THERE WERE NO VOLUNTEERS.
G. Distributed a reference binder to all senators. The binder contains information on the meeting schedule, standing committee report schedule, constitution, rosters of the senate and standing committees, and an archive section where senators may keep meeting materials.
SR-09-10-(03) 49 CFAHC: Recommends
that the attached criteria for the critical thinking course designation (CT) and
the associated Critical Thinking Designator Form be approved and that these
criteria specified in this recommendation be reviewed after the first year of
WAS MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED AS
SR-09-10-(04) 50 CC: Recommends approval of the listed COURSE ADDITIONS and COURSE CHANGES in the following colleges and/or schools: ACADEMIC AFFAIRS, COLLEGE OF EDUCATION & HUMAN SERVICES, HONORS COLLEGE, and the LEWIS COLLEGE OF BUSINESS. WAS MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED.
SR-09-10-(05) 51 CC: Recommends approval of the listed REQUEST FOR UNDERGRADUATE ADDITION, DELETION, OR CHANGE OF A MINOR and the REQUEST FOR UNDERGRADUATE ADDITION, DELETION, OR CHANGE OF AN AREA OF EMPHASIS in the following colleges and/or schools: COLLEGE OF HEALTH PROFESSIONS and the OFFICE OF OUTREACH & CONTINUING STUDIES. WAS MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED.
SR-09-10-(06) 52 LAC: Resolves that the Faculty Senate endorse the attached “ACF Legislative/HEPC/CTCC Issues for 2010” as prepared by the Advisory Council of Faculty (ACF). WAS MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED.
SR-09-10-(07) 53 LAC: Recommends that the Faculty Senate, President Kopp, and the WV Advisory Council of Faculty, jointly endorse a recommendation which urges the State and WV-PEIA to implement a 2-year moratorium on any increases in PEIA premiums, co-payment deductibles, and out-of-pocket maximum and/or decreases in medical/pharmacy benefits to all state employees both active and retired. WAS MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED.
4. STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
Each liaison reported
to-date on their respective committee.
IT WAS REQUESTED THAT THE ATHLETIC COMMITTEE SPEAK WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR TO DETERMINE IF THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT IS PLANNING ON TAKING SPACE IN GULICKSON HALL FROM THE SCHOOL OF KINESIOLOGY
5. REPORT OF THE UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT: Dr. Stephen Kopp
· Three candidates for the position of director for the Physical Therapy Program have been interviewed and an announcement should be made soon.
· The Winter Commencement ceremony is scheduled for December 5, 2009 and the logistics of this event are being discussed as to what changes may occur if the football team makes the Conference USA championship game.
· An orientation session for members of the board of governors is scheduled for December 16, 2009. Chair Brammer is to meet with the new board members to provide information about the Faculty Senate.
· Provided an update on the flu cases in the residence halls: Presently no students are in quarantine, which has had up to nine students, and the protocols in place are working.
· He commended the Forensics Team for its second place finish.
6. REPORT OF THE PROVOST: Dr. Gayle Ormiston
· Distributed and discussed two handouts (on file in the Faculty Senate office) – Student Recruitment and Retention: Planning Student Success, 2009-1010 Academic Year and Marshall University, 2009-2010 AY Retention Plan Initiatives and Actions.
· Announced that Professor Robert Bookwalter will chair the General Education Council.
· Announced that the Campus Conversations continue on October 27 & 28 with the theme of this meeting being, Developing Faculty.
MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED TO GO INTO EXECUTIVE SESSION PER WV STATE CODE 6-9A-4
MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED TO RETURN TO THE REGULAR SESSION
DR. ORMISTON STATED THAT THE SENATORS COULD DISCUSS THE DOCUMENT THAT WAS DISTRIBUTED DURING THE EXECUTIVE SESSION (on file in the Faculty Senate office)
7. BOARD OF GOVERNOR’S REPORT: Dr. Larry Stickler
8. ACF REPORT: Dr. Chuck Bailey
9. REQUESTS TO SPEAK TO THE SENATE: (5 minutes per person)
A. Mr. Jim Terry, Director of Public Safety
B. Dr. Dallas Brozik, former member, officer, and parliamentarian of the Faculty Senate.
10. AGENDA REQUESTS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS:
There were none.
THE MEETING WAS ADJOURNED AT 5:48 P.M.