Faculty Senate Home
Profile Request Form
Name: Franklin Shuler
Title: Associate Professor
Expert: Vitamin D and Osteoporosis, Orthopaedic Trauma
Shuler, F.D. and Schmitz, M. 2011, Anatomy. Chapter 2 in Miller’s Review of Orthopaedics Sixth Edition. M.D. Miller editor. W.B. Saunders Company. (in press)
Shuler, F.D. 2010. Anatomia. Chapter 2 in Orthopedia Y Traumatologia, Revision Sistematica. Quinta Edicion. M.D. Miller editor. W.B. Saunders Company.
Shuler, F.D. and Dietz, M. 2009. Chapter 167. Fractures of the Tibial Shaft in Essential Orthopaedics. Elsevier.
Shuler, F.D. and Davis, B. 2009. Chapter 166. Fractures of the Patella in Essential Orthopaedics. Elsevier.
Shuler, F.D. and Beimesch, C. 2009. Chapter 165. Fractures of the Distal Femur and Proximal Tibia in Essential Orthopaedics. Elsevier.
Shuler, F.D. 2009. Embryology and Surgical Anatomy of the Musculoskeletal System. Chapter 4. Mercer’s Textbook of Orthopaedics.
2011 Shattered Bones: True Survival Stories. Sandra Markle. Learner Publications Company.
The SPRINT (Study to Prospectively Evaluate Reamed Intramedullary Nails in Patients with Tibial Fractures) Investigators Briel M, Sprague, S, Heels-Ansdell D, Guyatt G, Bhandari M, Blackhouse G, Sanders D, Schemitsch E, Swiontkowski M, Tornetta P 3rd, Walter SD, Roeree, R. (contributor Shuler, FD). 2011. Economic evaluation of reamed versus unreamed intramedullary nailing in patients with closed and open tibial fractures: results from the Study to Prospectively Evaluate Reamed Intramedullary Nails in patients with Tibial Fractures (SPRINT). Value in Health 14:450-457.
Shuler, F.D., Conjeski, J. 2011. Improving bone health in West Virginia: The World Health Organization FRAX® Assessment Tool. WV Medical Journal, Sept/Oct 2011.
Shuler, F.D., Conjeski, J.M., Hamilton, R. 2011. Incorporation of the World Health Organization FRAX assessment tool into nursing practice. Am. J. Nurs Aug; 111(8):59-62.
Wang, Z., Li H., Guan, W., Ling, H., Wang, Z., Mu, T., Shuler, F.D., Fang, X., Li, F. 2010. Human SUMO fusion systems enhance protein expression and solubility. Protein Expr Purif 73(2):203-208.
Shuler, F.D., Busam, M, Beimesch, CF., Block, JJ. 2010. Retrograde femoral nailing: Computed tomography angiogram demonstrates no relative safe zone for prevention of small diameter arterial vascular injury during proximal anteroposterior crosslocking. J. Trauma 69:E42-45.
Shuler, F.D., Dietz M. 2010. Physician’s ability to manually detect isolated elevation in leg intra-compartmental pressure. J Bone Joint Surgery Am. 92:361-367.
Shuler, F.D., Dietz M. 2010. Letter to JBJS Am Editor: “Clinical predictive values of manual detection of elevated intracompartmental pressure” response to letter by Dr. Andrew Schmidt. http://www.ejbjs.org:80/cgi/eletters/92/2/361#11628
Shuler, F.D., Dietz M. 2010. Letter to JBJS Am Editor: “No stiffs here: validation of the fresh-never frozen cadaveric model system” response to letter by Drs. Steinberg and Drs. Gross, Mooney and Frick. http://www.ejbjs.org:80/cgi/eletters/92/2/361#11628
Shuler, F.D., Garland, C.F, and Holick, M.F. 2010 Prevalence of cancer in US female orthopaedic surgeons: potential role of inadequate vitamin D stores. J Bone Joint Surgery Am. Epublish www.ejbjs.org April 2010.
Ji, H., Lui, J., Wang, M., Yang, J., Shuler, F.D., Fang, X., Li, F. 2010. Myricetin anti-inflammatory effects: MMP inhibition, antioxidation prevention and pro-inflammatory mediator suppression. Submitted for publication Phytomedicine.
Published Abstracts/Poster Presentations:
Hamilton, R, Shuler, F.D. 2011 Incorporation of WHO FRAX into current nursing practice. 31st annual NAON Congress, Poster, Baltimore, MD, May 14-18, 2011.
West Virginia University – Principal Investigator and/or Co-Investigator on multiple randomized prospective clinical trials.
• METRC: Major Extremity Trauma Research Consortium – WVU Orthopaedics as Satellite Center for this Department of Defense Research Group. PI at WVU.
• TRUST: Trial to evaluate UltraSound in the Treatment of tibial fractures. Prospective Randomized Multicenter Trial. PI at WVU.
• Pfizer: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of CP-533.536 in Subjects with Closed Fracture of the Tibial Shaft. Prospective Randomized Multicenter Trial.
• Synthes: A Multicenter, Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Clinical Study Comparing the Synthes Tibial Nail-EX with Antibiotic Coating to the Synthes Tibial Nail-EX in Patients Requiring Treatment of Tibial Shaft Fractures.
• Quantification of Urine Collagen Type II C-Telopeptide in Patients with Fractures.
• Quantification of Urine Collagen Type II C-Telopeptide in a rabbit retro-patellar blunt impact cartilage damage model system.
Vanderbilt University – Principal Investigator and/or Co-Investigator on multiple randomized prospective clinical trials.
• SPRINT: Reamed vs. Unreamed Tibia Nails – Prospective Randomized Multicenter Trial of Reamed vs. Unreamed Tibia Nails.
• KCI Wound Vac: Prospective Randomized Trial for distal tibia pilon, tibial plateau and calcaneus fractures wound management.
• Cast vs. Intramedullary Fixation of Stable Tibia Fractures: Prospective Randomized Multi-Center Trial.
• Tibia Plafond (Pilon) Fractures: ORIF vs. Ex-Fix: Prospective Randomized Multi-Center Trial.
• Displaced Clavicle Fractures: ORIF vs. Conservative treatment: Prospective Randomized Multi-Center Trial.
• JAS Bracing: Intra-articular Fractures of Distal Humerus: Prospective Randomized Trial.
• Clinical Efficacy and Cost Implications of Acute BMP-2 Application in Grade IIIB Tibia Fractures: Prospective Randomized Multi-Center Trial.
• Quantification of Urine Collagen Type II C-Telopeptide in Patients with Fractures.
Residency -- Research Fellow in the Ferguson Laboratory for Orthopaedic Research – researcher on the NIH grant “Cartilage Regeneration Using Cell and Gene Therapy in OA.” Projects focused on development and characterization of gene therapy techniques to be used for improvement of cartilage healing. Also Principal Investigator for the grant supported research project “Molecular signaling directing chondrocyte re-differentiation (improvement of autologous chondrocyte transplantation)”. Advisor: Dr. Christopher Evans.
PhD Research -- Dissertation research “Analysis of Regulatory Regions Within the first Intron of the Estrogen-Inducible Chicken Very Low Density Apolipoprotein II Gene.” Advisor: Dr. Marilyn Evans.
Undergraduate -- 1989 Summer Researcher on the American Heart Association Grant entitled, “Molecular Mechanisms of Angiotensins in NG108-15 Cells.” Advisor: Dr. Ann Tallant – Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Undergraduate -- 1988 Summer Researcher on the NIH Grant entitled “Enzymatic Repair of Carcinogenic Damage to Human DNA” Advisor: Dr. Patricia E. Gallagher – West Virginia University
Undergraduate -- NASA’s 1987 Space Life Sciences Training Program. I participated in all phases of space flight experimentation and NASA life science research. Four experiments that I worked on were flown aboard the Space Shuttle. Also, one of my experimental designs was accepted for space flight – Kennedy Space Center
Scholarly Activity & Meetings:
• Faculty Oct 2011 27th National OTA meeting (San Antonio, TX) Resident’s Basic Fracture Course – Table Instructor
• Sept 2011 Attended Science Summit for wound healing, and flap options; Henderson, NV
• Sept 2011 WV Medical Journal publication “Defining bone health and fracture risk in West Virginia: the World Health Organization FRAX Assessment Tool”
• Faculty Aug 2011 Osteobiologics Update Meeting Memphis, TN
• Aug 2011 Value in Health publication:”Economic evaluation of reamed versus unreamed intramedullary nailing in patients with closed and open tibial fractures: results from the Study to Prospectively Evaluate Reamed Intramedullary Nails in patients with Tibial Fractures (SPRINT).”
• Aug 2011 Member Vitamin D Council
• Aug 2011 AJN publication “Incorporating the WHO FRAX Assessment Tool into current nursing practice.”
• July 2011 MU Athletics “Vitamin D and Athletic Performance Phase I” PI with Co-PI Dr. Chuck Giangarra, Tom Belmaggio and Dr. John Jasko
• July 2011 CTSA Grant Proposal CoPI with Dr. Jingwei Xie “Biomimetic Nanofiber Scaffolds Seeded with Adipose-derived Stem Cells for Tendon-to-bone Insertion Repair”
• July 2011 CRC (Centralized Research Center) member – Orthopaedics representation
• June 2011 Founding member of CHH OR efficiency management group (COO, Glen Washington)
• June 2011 Submitted $10,000 OTA grant “Screw placement to avoid syndesmotic cartilage injury”
• June 2011 Orthopaedic CME Grand Rounds “What the heck do I have to know about Osteoporosis: West Virginia and PQRI”
• June 2011 IRB approval for TRUST: TRial to evaluate UltraSound in the Treatment of tibial fractures.
• May 2011 Poster presentation: 31st NAON Congress Baltimore, MD. Incorporation of FRAX into current nursing practice.
• May 2011 Elected to MU Orthopaedics Resident Education Committee
• May 2011 Orthopaedic CME Lecture “Arthridities radiographic review”
• Faculty May 2011 Miller’s Colorado Orthopaedic Review Course
• May 2011 MU Orthopaedics selected as study site for TRUST: TRial to evaluate UltraSound in the Treatment of tibial fractures. Prospective Randomized Multicenter Trial. PI for MU Orthopaedics
• April 2011 Orthopaedic CME Lecture “Radiation exposure in Orthopaedics”
Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Active Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Member, Orthopaedic Trauma Association
Invited Grand Rounds and Lectureships: 15
Presentations: podium, instructional course lectures, etc: 121
Return to Search Page