THE MINUTES OF THE MARSHALL UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE MEETING
HELD ON THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2012, AT 4:00 P.M. IN
ROOM BE5 OF THE MEMORIAL STUDENT CENTER
MEMBERS PRESENT: Rex McClure, Shane Tomblin, Nancy Lankton, Daesung Ha, James Sottile, Harold Blanco, Tina Cartwright, Mark Zanter, Larry Stickler (Assistant Chair), Fredrick Bartolovic, Mike Murphy, Sandra Prunty, Muhammad Amjad, Gary McIlvain, Yi-Po Chiu, Susan Welch, John Biros, Jamil Chaudri, Cam Brammer (Recording Secretary) Barbara Tarter, Susan Gilpin, Kevin Law, Eric Migernier, Pamela Mulder, Marcus Hadler, Kristi Fondern, Aley El-Shazly, Derrick Kolling, Carl Mummert, Alfred Akinsete, Suzanne Strait, Bin Wang, Sandra Stroebel, Bizunesh Wubie, Lori Ellison, Tom Hisiro, Burnis Morris, Charles Clements, Jung Han Kim, Fadi Alkhankan, Emine Koc, Jim Denvir, Travis Salisbury, Stephanie Anderson, Eldon Larsen (Chair), Gretchen Beach, Thom Walker, and Tracy Christofero (Graduate Council).
MEMBERS ABSENT: Uday Tate, Scott Simonton, Paige Muellerleile, Wendy Trzyna, John Sammons, Jerry Garrett, Zach Tankersley, Piyali Dasgupta, Wesam Bolkhir, John Wilkinson, John Krstenansky, Karen McNealy (AFC).
PARLIAMENTARIAN: Cheryl Brown
GUESTS: Glenn Anderson, Philippe Georgel, Corley Dennison, E.J. Hassan, Jordan Wooldridge, Bishop Nash, Bill Rosenberger, Jeff Huffman, Monica Brooks, Steven Hensley, Marty Amerikaner, Mary Beth Reynolds, Ed, Taft, Stephen Kopp.
Declaring that there was a quorum, Faculty Senate Chair, Dr. Eldon Larsen called the meeting to order at approximately 4:00 p.m.
Minutes of the October 18, 2012 meeting were approved as written.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS: Dr. Eldon Larsen
- December 13 is the next Faculty Senate Meeting.
- Chair Larsen stated the Student Conduct & Welfare Committee needed a Liaison. Susan Welch, COHP – Nursing, volunteered for the seat. Chair Larsen accepted.
- COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS:
SR-12-13-07 CC: Recommends approval of the listed COURSE CHANGES in the COLLEGE OF BUSINESS, and COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS. WAS MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED.
SR-12-13-08 CC: Recommends approval of the listed COURSE ADDITIONS in the COLLEGE OF IT AND ENGINEERING, COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS and COLLEGE OF SCIENCE. WAS MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED.
SR-12-13-09 BAPC: Recommends approval of the listed 2013 – 2015 ACADEMIC CALENDAR. WAS MOVED, SECONDED, AND APPROVED.
- REPORT OF THE UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT: Dr. Stephen Kopp
- INTO University Partnerships visit went very well. The visitors were delightfully surprised and impressed as to how beautiful and large our campus actually is. They thought it would be much smaller due to our population. INTO original trip was delayed due to Hurricane Sandy. Dr. Kopp thanked the faculty for all their support, participation and contributions with the successful visit.
- Fall 2013 will be the first intake of students into the program.
- Opportunities for faculty to work abroad will come in time.
- Dr. Kopp stated there are no changes with the Performance Based Funding. At our request, a revision was made to take into consideration the request of using the ‘per student funding’.
- Requesting the Faculty Senate to bring forward recommendations and he thinks the best approach is to have a series of metrics that we recommend and push for that we believe in, which is benchmarking. This is what the University predicts enrollment will be verses actual enrollment.
- REPORT OF THE PROVOST: Dr. Gayle Ormiston
- Dean’s search is underway for the College of Business and Honors College.
- October 22-23, 2012 – Degree Works Audit. Encouraged faculty to use this program while working advising students.
- The Student Success program, which is a compliment to the Degree Works program, is being piloted in University College, English, Education, Engineering Psychology, Nursing, Computer Science and Biology. Coming in January 2013 we will launch Journalism and Mass Communications, Fine Arts and Business. This is an excellent tool to show the students where they are in their degree and is used as a performance predictor on how students will do in future classes.
- Everyone should be working on the Outcomes for fall Assessment Plans for Spring 2013
- December 7, 2012 the Office of Recruitment will begin the “Yield Reception”. This is for students who have been admitted but not committed to attending Marshall University.
- Dr. Ormiston thanked the faculty for their hard work.
- BOARD OF GOVERNOR’S REPORT: Dr. Marty Amerikaner
- Dr. Amerikaner referred to the Board of Governors meeting minutes dated 10/30/2012 which he sent out for review. There was no discussion.
- ACF REPORT: Dr. Karen McNealy
Absent – No report
- REQUESTS TO SPEAK TO THE SENATE: (5 minutes per person)
- Jim Terry of the Parking Office spoke about several things regarding parking issues due to the construction. Items are as follows:
- He said he met with the Physical Facilities & Planning Committee on two of the three items in question.
- He will look at the option of General Faculty/Staff Parking area.
- There is reimbursement on parking passes at a prorated rate
- You may NOT park in any garage lot without a parking permit for that lot. The lot on 6th Ave. is a cash only lot. NO PERMITS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Dr. Jamil Chaudri suggested RE-ROUTING US-Route 60(East) from 5th Avenue to 8th Avenue. 8th Avenue is a “through” street and joins 29th Street, which in turn heads towards the Interstate (and Barboursville). In the meantime he also suggested the University consider purchasing a death benefits insurance policy.
Motion to move into Executive Session. Seconded and approved.
Motion to move out of Executive Session. Seconded and approved.
- Motion was moved to pass Recommendation SR-12-13-10 UFC (Confidential) with amendments of striking #3 and #4. Seconded and approved. Passed with amendments.
- AGENDA REQUESTS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS:
THE MEETING WAS ADJOURNED AT 4:45 P.M.
Dr. Camilla Brammer, Recording Secretary