The passing of Mr. Arthur Weisberg

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – This past Saturday, late afternoon the Marshall University and Huntington community lost a great man.

Mr. Arthur Weisberg passed away at the age of 88 at Cabell Huntington Hospital, the Herald-Dispatch reports.

The Huntington business leader was also a financial donor to Marshall University for many years. Art and his family were also the Grand Marshal’s in this year’s Homecoming Parade.

Weisberg is known for creating State Electric Supply Company in the 1950s here in West Va. Weisberg once said that Engineering to him is the future of America and West Virginia.

Weisberg created the financial foundation of the $50 million, 145,000-square foot Arthur Weisberg Family Applied Engineering Complex that will be located on Third Avenue in Huntington that is currently under construction.

In a press release and statement issued immediately Saturday, Marshall University President, Stephen Kopp said, “I and the entire Marshall University community are deeply saddened by the passing of Mr. Arthur Weisberg.”

“I consider Art a dear friend and mentor and I’ve been so fortunate to have known him. I have especially cherished the time we shared together. He was never short on kind words and always willing to share his advice and wisdom – just two of the noble attributes that define this remarkable man.”

“Huntington and the State of West Virginia have lost one of our greatest captains of industry and philanthropy. Art chose to make Huntington his home and throughout his lifetime here, he was committed to improving the quality of life for its current and future residents. Art and the entire Weisberg family have left an indelible imprint on this university through their support of our academic programs and willingness to give back to the community they so dearly love.”

“Jane and I and all of us at Marshall extend our love and heartfelt prayers to Joan and the entire Weisberg family.”

From the words of Student Body President, Ray Harrell Jr., “The Student Government Association offers our sincerest condolences to the family of Mr. Arthur Weisberg who passed away this weekend. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.”

Student Body President, Ray Harrell, Jr. can be contacted at ray.harrell@marshall.edu | 954.495.5181 (mobile)