Funding Terms and Conditions
Academic Semester Funding Application Terms & Conditions
DEADLINE FOR FUNDING APPLICATION SUBMISSION (2015-2016 academic year):
Fall 2015: November 6, 2015 at 2:00PM
Spring 2016: April 1, 2015 at 2:00PM
Student organizations are eligible to receive a maximum award of $500 during both the fall and spring semesters. Applications for awards are reviewed on a first come, first serve basis. Applications must be submitted by the funding application deadline dates listed above. These applications are carefully reviewed because the Student Government Association is funded by the State of West Virginia. Student organizations must have a Federal Identification Number (FEIN) and be registered as vendors with the State of West Virginia before applying for funding.
NO SENATE FUNDING BILL WILL BE DEBATED IN SENATE UNLESS THE SENATE PRESIDENT PRO-TEMPORE HAS RECEIVED YOUR W-9 TAX FORM AND AN IRS LETTER VERIFYING YOUR FEDERAL EMPLOYER IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (FEIN). NO EXCEPTIONS.
Completion of the funding application does not guarantee financial support. Statements within this application pertaining to the approval process are for reference only. By filing this application, you and your organization release the Student Government Association and Marshall University from any liability, monetary or other, incurred directly or indirectly relating to the project for which funding is requested. All the requirements listed below must be met before application consideration.
Limitations of Funding
- The Student Government Association will not disburse student funds for food or for social gatherings (for example, parties, recruitment).
- SGA can only fund food if the organization is making it themselves. (for example, groceries to make food for a recruitment event, retreat, fundraiser, etc…)
- Senators that are on the Senate Finance Committee, and are involved in a funding request for a student organization will recuse themselves from voting on their organization’s funding bill.
- An organization can apply an unlimited amount of times but may only receive $500.00 per semester, maximum.
- The Finance committee has the right to use their own discretion on all matters presented before them.
Requirements of Funded Organization:
- Expenditure Report: Funded student organizations must submit an expenditure report that details the purchases made with the award. This report can be found at www.marshall.edu/sga under the “SGA funding” tab and must be completed before the end of the semester in which the funding was awarded.
- Display of Student Government Association Sponsorship: Each organization funded by the Student Government Association must display the SGA logo or appropriate proof of sponsorship on all marketing materials, t-shirts, or banners. Proof of the displayed sponsorship will be required in the expenditure report.
FAILURE TO MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS WILL RESULT IN FUNDING SUSPENSIONS FOR UP TO ONE YEAR AS VOTED UPON BY THE SENATE OF THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION.
Application Supplements (Necessary to Receive Funding):
Before submission of the online application, a W9 form must be completed. This requires a Federal Employee Identification Number (FEIN). If your organization does not have a FEIN, it can be found at the IRS website or by calling the specialty tax number, 1‐800‐829‐4933. Please bring your completed W-9 to the President Pro-Tempore’s office (MSC 2W24)
An organization’s W-9 form must be filled out correctly in order to receive funding. This includes:
- Accurate name of organization on W-9 Form (this needs to match the name on the letter your organization received from the IRS.)
- Appropriate box checked for federal tax classification (check the “other” box and type “Non-Profit Student Organization” into the box)
- Correct FEIN
- Signature in ink – do not copy.
- An itemized budget must be submitted with all funding applications.
FOR ORGANIZATIONS REQUESTING FUNDS FOR TRAVEL
- Must provide proof of completion of the Safe Driver Training Module within fourteen (14) days of Senate funding approval by all individuals operating a motor vehicle en route to, from, or during your organization’s event in order to receive Student Government funding for travel expenses.
- To access this course, visit MUOnline, click on “Organizations” and type “Safety” in the search bar. Under the search results find “Org ID: train_driversafety”, on the lefthand navigation bar, click “Driver Training.” Finally, click “Driver Safety” in the middle of the page and select “launch course.”
ORGANIZATIONS MUST BE REGISTERED VENDORS WITH THE STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA.
- Organizations cannot receive any funding from the Student Government Association until they are registered with the state.
- In order to verify the organization’s status as a vendor for the State of West Virginia, submit the IRS letter that contains your organization’s FEIN number to the President Pro-Tempore of the Senate, along with the completed W-9 form. The President Pro-Tempore’s office is located in the Memorial Student Center, room 2W24.