Academic Semester Funding Application Terms & Conditions
The Marshall University Student Government Association appropriates a portion of its operating budget to offset the expense of projects undertaken by student organizations. Student organizations are eligible to receive $500 for both the fall and spring semester by filling out an application. Allocations are based on a first come, first serve basis until the allocation budget is exhausted. Because the Student Government Association is funded by the State of West Virginia, the application process must be carefully reviewed, and, if the application is approved, disbursement of a check from the West Virginia State Treasurer’s Office may take between six to ten weeks; student organizations applying for funding should consider the necessary time required to ensure funding before applying.
Completion of the funding application does not guarantee financial support. Statements within this application pertaining to the approval process are for reference only. By filing this application, you and your organization release the Student Government Association and Marshall University from any liability, monetary or other, incurred directly or indirectly relating to the project for which funding is requested. Completion of the funding packet includes meeting all of the requirements listed below; incomplete applications will not be considered.
Limitations of Funding:
The Student Government Association will not disburse student funds for food or for social gatherings (parties or the like). Please include these amounts in your full budget however, as they are important for validating your requests for funds. If a large percentage of students, whether or not officers are members of the applying organization and another student organization then the funding process will involve extra disclosure of information and possible disapproval. Failure to complete any part of the two above requirements will result in immediate dismissal of the funding and up to two years of suspension of funding for the applying organization. An organization can apply an unlimited amount of times but may only receive $500.00 per semester, maximum.
Requirements of Funded Organization:
1. Expenditure Report: To submit an expenditure report, please refer to <webpage>. All project evaluations are to be submitted before the end of the semester which funds were appropriated for.
2. Display of Student Government Association Sponsorship: Each organization funded by Student Government Association is to display sponsorship at an event or conference to which funds are appropriated for. Proof of said display will be requested with the project evaluation.
FAILURE TO MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS WILL RESULT RESULT IN FUNDING SUSPENSIONS FOR UP TO ONE YEAR AS DETERMINED BY THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION.
Application Supplements (Necessary to Receive Funding):
1. W-9 Form: In order to receive any funding, a W9 form is to be completed, this requires a Federal-Employee-Identification Number (FEIN). If your organization does not have a FEIN, it can be found at the IRS website or by calling the specialty tax number, 1‐800‐829‐4933. Please bring your completed W-9 to the President Pro-Tempore’s office (MSC 2W24)
a. Your W-9 form must be filled out correctly in order to receive funding. This includes:
I) Accurate name of organization on W-9 Form
II) Appropriate box checked for federal tax classification (check the “other” box)
III) Correct FEIN
IV) Signature written in ink, NOT copied
2. Itemized Budget: List of budgeted income as well as expenses (please note specifically which expenses are to be reimbursed/incurred with allocation from Student Government Association.)
3. FOR ORGANIZATIONS REQUESTING FUNDS FOR TRAVEL: Must provide proof of completion of the Safe Driver Training Module within fourteen (14) days of funding approval by the full Senate by all individuals operating a motor vehicle en route to, from, or during your organization’s event in order to receive Student Government funding for travel expenses.
a. To access this course, visit MUOnline, click on “Organizations” and type “Safety” in the search bar. Under the search results find “Org ID: traindriversafety” Org Name: Safety Training” and select “Enroll”. On the Self Enrollment Page click “Submit” and “OK”
4. ORGANIZATIONS MUST BE REGISTERED VENDORS WITH THE STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA.
a. Organizations cannot receive any funding from Student Government Association until they are registered with the state.
b. In order to register your group with the state please bring your IRS letter that was mailed to you containing your organization’s FEIN number to the President Pro-Tempore’s office or the office of Student Affairs.
c. Vendor registration can take up to two weeks; Once the organization is registered the funding application may begin to be processed.