We encourage the involvement of parents with their son, and getting involved with Sigma Tau Gamma. Hopefully you will discuss the option of Greek life as a family, and take both the pros and cons into consideration. While there is a financial and time commitment involved, the benefits in the long run far outweigh the time/money put in initially.
Below are the top 5 items we would like to highlight to you, that we feel are the best benefits and reasons to join a fraternity:
The Path of Principles New Member Program
- Sigma Tau Gamma’s alternative to “pledging.” The New Member Program consists of an eight week long group of life-changing experiences unrivaled by any other fraternity.
- Both Sigma Tau Gamma and Marshall University have a zero tolerance level policy on hazing. What is hazing? It’s any activity taken or situation created intentionally, whether on or off fraternity premises/campus to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment or ridicule. When we say “No Hazing” – we mean it.
- When seeking prospective members, we look at quality based on beliefs and principles rather than quantity. This practice results in tighter friendships and a top-notch fraternity experience.
- At Sig Tau, we pride ourselves on providing the very best experiences based upon community service, philantrophy, intramurals and social events on and off campus. Go ahead and ask around! You will find that we are truly a leader in student life at Marshall.
- Sigma Tau Gamma has an extensive network of prestigious alums generally willing to help fellow brothers in their career goals. They include, but are by no means limited to:
- John (Jack) Link Founder of Jack Link’s Beef Jerky
- O. Glen Hocker Founder – Dairy Queen International
- William H. Byler Inventor of Black Light
- Robert A. Libby Inventor of Pringles Potato Chips
- Capt James A. Graham USMC, Medal of Honor recipient, Vietnam
- M.A. Wright Chairman of the Board, Exxon Oil & Refining Co., Past chairman of U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Mel Hancock U.S. Congressman, State of Missouri
- Brad Ellsworth U.S. Congressman, State of Indiana
- Red Miller Former Head Coach, Denver Broncos
- Dee Brown Author, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee
- Lt Gen George J. Trautman, III Deputy Commandant for Aviation, United States Marine Corps
- Spiro Pappan founder of Byzantine Inc.
- Stan Musial Major League Baseball Hall of Fame and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- John Ashcroft U.S. Senator, Former Attorney General