George Jones (one of the mine owners), while attending school in England, became fascinated by the "dale" in English names. When the town was established in 1911, he added "dale" as a suffix to Amerhest, from the name of the Amherst Coal Company. The coal company owners came from Amherst County, Virginia, and selected the name of the company from that locality. (Doutt, Logan County, pp. 4-5)
In 1972 the Guyan 1, 1A & BG coal mines of the Island Creek Coal Company (Holden) were located at Amherstdale. These mines employed 289 men and produced 786,000 tones of coal the previous year (WV Directory of Mines, 1972, sheet 26). The Hobert Mine and Construction Company had four mines (552-70, 233-71, 131-72, and 99-72), which employed 16 men and produced 57,000 tons of coal annually (WV Directory of Mines, 1972, sheet 28).
There were four known fatalities, and one missing, in Amherstdale from the 1972 Buffalo Creek Flood:
James Bailey, Jr., 16 years - Brother of Diana L. McCoy
Diana L. McCoy, 18 years - Mother
Margie M. Prince, 42 years
© Marshall University, 2002. All rights reserved.
Last updated, October 29, 2002.
Created and Maintained by Lisle Brown, Special Collections, Morrow Library, Marshall University.