DAM CHRONOLOGY |
PERSONAL ACCOUNTS |
Lorado sits at the mouth of Davy Branch of Buffalo Creek. The village was established in 1914 and was first called Lorain, from the Lorain Coal and Dock Company. In May 1915 the coal company directors changed the name to Lorado, combining the first two syllables of "lorain" and "dock." The change was made to distinguish it from the Lorain (Ohio) Dock and Company of which it was a subsidiary. The word "Lorado" was also used as a trade name for coal. (Doutt, Logan County, pp. 66-67; Kenny, WV Place Names, p. 385).
In 1972 Buffalo No. 5, No. 5-A, No. 5-B, and No. 5-C mines of the Buffalo Mining Company were located at Lorado. These mines employed 328 persons and produced 528,000 tons of coal annually (WV Directory of Mines, 1972, sheet 26). There was also the S-5744 mine of the Buffalo Mining Company (Lyburn), which employed 13 persons and produced 8,500 tons of coal annually (WV Directory of Mines, 1972, sheet 28).
There were twenty-three known fatalities, and two missing, from Lorado:
David B. Adkins, Sr., 27 years - Father (Electrician for Buffalo Mining Company
Sylvia Albright, 39 years - Mother
Edith Blankenship, 61 years
Roscoe Clay, 74 years (Missing)
Willie Dempsey, 42 years - Husband (Motorman, No. 5 Mine, Buffalo Mining Company)
James Dillon, 32 years - Husband (Shuttle car oporator, No. 5 Mine, Buffalo Mining Company
Jesse Messer, 35 years
Macie Queen, 54 years
Goldie Sipple, 38, about 38 years
Florencio Sosa, 65 years - Husband
Frank Lee Workman, 69 years
© Marshall University, 2002. All rights reserved.
Last updated, October 29, 2002.
Created and Maintained by Lisle Brown, Special Collections, Morrow Library, Marshall University.