University Mission Statement
Approved by MU Board of Governors on May 12, 2004
Marshall University is a multi-campus public university providing innovative undergraduate and graduate education that contributes to the development of society and the individual. The University actively facilitates learning through the preservation, discovery, synthesis, and dissemination of knowledge.
Marshall University will
- provide affordable, high quality undergraduate and graduate education appropriate for the state and the region;
- provide services and resources to promote student learning, retention, and academic success;
- foster faculty, staff, and student outreach through service activities;
- provide a safe and secure employee work environment;
- make instruction available throughout Marshall’s service area using all appropriate modes of delivery;
- enhance the quality of health care in the region;
- promote economic development through research, collaboration, and technological innovations;
- educate a citizenry capable of living and working effectively in a global environment;
- support and strengthen the faculty, staff, student, and administrative governance structures in order to promote shared governance of the institution;
- further the intellectual, artistic, and cultural life of the community and region; and
- adhere to the Marshall University Creed and to the Statement of Ethics.
Marshall University faculty will
- remain current in their fields of expertise and incorporate that expertise in the educational process as appropriate;
- improve instruction through the use of innovative teaching methods that require students to become actively involved in the learning process and develop the critical thinking skills necessary for life-long learning;
- contribute to the body of knowledge through completion of scholarly and creative activities;
- actively engage and mentor students in scholarly, artistic, and creative endeavors;
- help students develop the ability to navigate through a rapidly changing society; and
- regularly review the curriculum, degree, and programs offered, and recommend necessary additions and deletions to meet changing needs of the state and region.
Marshall University staff will
- support the mission of the University in their transactions with students, staff, faculty, administrators, and the public;
- develop a positive, just, and equitable workplace; and
- be a quality workforce equipped with appropriate skills and knowledge.
Marshall University students will have the opportunity to
- use their knowledge, creativity, and critical thinking skills to make their communities better places in which to live;
- examine critically the many issues facing society and, through the process of civil discourse, prepare themselves to become socially responsible individuals who contribute to the betterment of society;
- appreciate and cultivate diversity, and value differences;
- participate in activities such as artistic and cultural programs, social and residential life activities, and intercollegiate/intramural athletic teams; and
- undertake intensive graduate-level education in their chosen fields upon admission to graduate school, giving them solid foundations for becoming competent professionals.
Marshall University administration will
- actively seek resources to support the mission and goals of the institution as stated in this document;
- secure funding to support scholarship, artistic, and creative endeavors, faculty and staff development, and state-of-the-art classrooms;
- provide leadership to facilitate the institution’s achievement of its mission and vision;
- administer the policies of the university in a fair, ethical, and equitable manner;
- communicate the vision, mission, goals, achievements, and difficulties of the institution in a clear, effective, and forthright manner to both internal and external constituencies; and
- actively support shared governance of the institution.