The Residual (Walk-In) ACT is similar to National ACT in terms of format and scoring. The examination takes about 3 hours and consists of test questions that measure your knowledge of English, Mathematics, Reading, and Science. Test preparation resources can be found on the National ACT website at ACT Student Test Prep.
Individuals taking the Residual (Walk-In) ACT at Marshall University must be enrolled, have been admitted, or have submitted an application to Marshall University. Residual (Walk-In) ACT test scores are only valid at Marshall University and St. Mary’s Medical Center cooperative education programs in Medical Imaging, Nursing, and Respiratory Care.
Individuals cannot take the test for NCAA eligibility or for the WV PROMISE Scholarship.
Marshall University does NOT provide extended time accommodations to the Residual (Walk-In) ACT exam. Students seeking accommodations should register for the National ACT.
Upcoming Test Dates
Friday, Dec. 15
Friday, Jan. 5
Friday, March 9
Friday, May 4
Friday, June 1
Check-in begins at 7:30 a.m. and testing begins promptly at 8:00 a.m. Students who arrive late to the testing room will NOT be admitted – NO EXCEPTIONS. Testing takes place at Marshall University, One John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV 25755 in the Memorial Student Center, Room 2W22.
- You may register for the Residual (Walk-In) ACT here or by calling 304-696-3996 or 304-696-4302 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Pre-Registration is encouraged and seating is limited. It is recommended that you review the test schedule prior to registering.
- Registration closes at 4:00 p.m. the day before the test if there are seats still available.
- You will receive a confirmation email within two business days of registering.
- Testing Fee: $50.00
- Payment Methods: Exact Cash, Check or Money Order
- Please make all checks and money orders payable to Marshall University.
- Payment is due on the day of the exam and a copy of payment receipt will be presented upon payment. Testing Fees are non-refundable.
What to Bring
- Photo ID (Driver’s License, Student ID, Passport, etc.)
- Soft-Led #2 Pencils (Mechanical Pencils are prohibited)
- Acceptable Calculator (optional)
- Calculators are only permitted on the Mathematics test.
- Most basic four-function, scientific, and graphing calculators are acceptable.
- For more calculator information, as well as a list of prohibited calculators visit actstudent.org.
Parking will be available in the Sixth Avenue Parking Garage. The directions to the parking garage are as follows:
- From I-64, take Exit 11, Hal Greer Blvd.
- From I-64 West turn RIGHT onto Hal Greer Blvd.
- From I-64 East turn LEFT onto Hal Greer Blvd.
- Follow Hal Greer Blvd. until you reach 6th Ave.
- Turn right onto 6th Ave., the parking garage will be on your left.
- As you walk out of the parking garage head toward 5th Ave. and the Memorial Student Center will be just across 5th Avenue.
Following the completion of the test, test scores are sent to the MU Admissions Office. Test scores will be available to the student within two business days after the exam date. Scores will ONLY be released to the individual who tested via phone at 304-696-3996 or 304-696-4302, or in-person by visiting the Welcome Center, Office of Recruitment with a valid photo identification.
Examinees may take the ACT no more than 12 times total. This restriction applies even if your scores from a test date are canceled by you or by ACT. If the examinee violates this restriction, ACT will automatically cancel the scores and no refund will be issued by ACT or Marshall University. An examinee must wait a minimum of 60 days between retests. This policy includes the Residual (Walk-In) ACT and the National test.
If you have any questions about the Residual (Walk-In) ACT, please contact Marlita Berry-Cadogan