What is University College?
- Originated in the Fall of 1999
- Provides tutoring for Marshall University students
- Provides advising services for UC students and College of Liberal Arts undecided students
- Hosts Majors, Minors & More Fair!
- Coordinates National Student Exchange (NSE)
- Offers Placement testing for English and Math
Who are UC Students?
- Conditional Admits – below 19 ACT or below 2.00 high school GPA
- Transitional Admits – missing high school unit requirement(s)
- Conditional – transitional admits
- Transient Students – guest or visiting students
- International Students – current ESL students or missing ACT/SAT scores
- Early Entry/Dual Enrollment – current high school students
When Are Students Eligible to Transfer out of University College?
- Students must complete all developmental course requirements, if applicable
- Earn a 2.00 Cum. GPA on 12 or more graded hours
- Successfully complete credit for UNI 101
- Conditionally admitted students have 3 terms to complete requirements
How Does the University College Advising Center Operate?
- Provides advising in academic planning and major exploration
- Advises all UC students and undecided students in the College of Liberal Arts
- Provides year-round walk-in advising (or appointments) for all students advised by University College
Who Receives Tutoring Services and How?
- All Marshall University students are eligible for both individual and drop-in tutoring services
- Students may receive individual services upon request (2 hours per week; up to 2 subjects)
- Students may use drop-in tutoring for as many hours as needed (days and times are listed on the drop-in schedules)
- Tutoring services are paid for by student fees; therefore, there are no additional costs to students
What is UNI 101?
- UNI 101 is a 1 credit hour (credit or no credit) course that time includes: time management, career planning, study skills, academic policies, support services, and library instruction
- Required course for University College students
What is the “Majors, Minors & More!” Fair ?
- A majors fair and exhibition designed mainly for undecided students
- A bi-annual event sponsored by University College in September and March/April
- Students can meet with administrators, faculty, and current students in majors of interest
Can I declare a major while in University College?
- A major cannot be declared until a student has completed the requirements in University College and officially transfers out, as outlined in their contract
What happens if a student does not complete the requirements in 3 semesters?
- Conditionally admitted students are dismissed from University College and Marshall University; transitional students are not dismissed under the 3 term requirement but may be suspended
Will I lose credits or graduate later because I am in University College?
- Not necessarily; developmental courses do not count towards graduation. Therefore, students who are required to complete developmental courses must average 16 hours per term, all going towards degree requirements, to graduate in 4 years without summer school
Who is my Advisor?
How do I get more information on University College?
- Call us at 304-696-3169.
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Come in and visit us on the first floor of Laidley Hall