Marshall University Architectural Guide
by Carlos Bozzoli, Architect
The John Deaver Drinko Academy

Corbly Hall

 
 
 
Current use:
Home of the College of Business, it also houses the family and consumer sciences program, the business and office technolo- gy programs, and the department of English.
Location: 
Southwest corner of campus, Hal Greer Boulevard and 5th. Avenue.
Designers:
Dean & Dean Architects, Huntington, WV
Completed: 
1980
Name: 
For Lawrence J. Corbly, who served as "principal" of Marshall College from 1896 to 1907, and as its first president from 1907 to 1915.

This is a four-story building located at the, Corbly Hall was the largest academic building when it was completed. It is an outstanding example of regularity, symmetry and rationality in design, and points out certain common features with Harris Hall (the use of small windows pairs). The main idea was a longitudinal, gabled roof block, intercrossed with a huge, short but wider block, clearly separated from the other with two gabled walls. This central block has five bays, with a different kind of fenestration: instead of the dominating small window pairs, it falls back to a curtain wall, a most spread type of openings used in skyscraper and office buildings. At the extremes of the building, a curtain walled bay marks the end, just as rusticated masonry used to mark the building corners in Renaissance architecture. The whole effect of the building, well detached from its outskirts, expresses stability, solidity and self-assurance. The use of the predominant brown brick establishes a clear link with most of MU Campus and even Huntington’s buildings. The building was, until the last decade, the greatest educational facility of West Virginia, and it was built under huge economic restrictions, having in mind the already important concern about energy efficiency.