Marshall University Architectural Guide
by Carlos Bozzoli, Architect
The John Deaver Drinko Academy

One Room School Museum

 
 
View from southwest
 
Current use:
To house the Ovie and Jesse Cline Museum.
Location: 
Fifth Avenue, between Holderby Hall and the Campus Christian Center.
Designers:
Unknown, a former one-room school dating from 1888 in Cabell County.
Completed: 
Dedicated 1995
Name: 
To honor West Virginia’s rural education heritage.

A one-room schoolhouse is a school in which all elementary grade students were taught in a single room common in sparsely populated areas before 20th Century, and many had a bell at the ridge of the roof for summoning students al the start of the school day. This is a very typical American way of building, example of a wood frame construction, covered with clapboards and with a roof with wooden shingles.
Funded by MU alumnus Phil Cline, in memory of his parents who attended and taught in a one-room school. The current schoolhouse was donated by Mrs. Tina F. Bryan of Glenwood, WV, in memory of his husband Mr. James E. Bryan, and originally stood at Punkin as a Center School, c. 1889.