Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine physician authors book on medical poetry

AaronMcGuffinDr. Aaron M. McGuffin, senior associate dean for medical education in the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, has published a new poetry book titled Common Illness that showcases creative AMcGuffin_bookcoverwritings from his experiences as a physician.

McGuffin, who is board certified in internal medicine and pediatrics, credits his mother, an English teacher, for stoking his passion for creative writing.

“My mom inspired me to write and express my feelings in a way that isn’t always synonymous with the medical profession,” McGuffin said.   “Writing provides a release for me and in some ways has helped me become a better doctor by improving my observation skills and developing a heightened sense of empathy.”

He said he hopes his poetry provides insight into physicians’ perspectives on providing patient care and will allow the reader to laugh and cry through related personal experiences.

In addition to Common Illness, McGuffin has authored several poems that have been published in medical journals.  Common Illness is available on Amazon and and for the Kindle beginning in June.

McGuffin is a Huntington native who graduated from the  Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine in 1999.  He also completed a residency in Internal Medicine/Pediatrics at Marshall.