Board of Governors welcomes four new members

JamesBailesFour new members of the Marshall Board of Governors were sworn in at the board’s meeting Tuesday, Aug. 27, by the Hon. Jane Hustead, Cabell County circuit judge. Their appointments had been announced by West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin Aug. 2.

The newest members are James Bailes of Huntington, Tim Dagostine of Charleston, Christie Kinsey of Lavalette and Phil Cline of Huntington. Bailes, Dagostine and Kinsey were appointed to three-year terms and Cline was appointed for four years.

TimDagostine“I’m pleased these men and women have accepted this opportunity to serve on the board of governors,” Tomblin said. “Together, their knowledge, skills and expertise will help guide (Marshall University) and help ensure a brighter future for our young people.”

Bailes is an attorney with Bailes, Craig and Yon, PLLC, in Huntington. He succeeds Letitia Neese Chafin, who could not be reappointed. “I am pleased at the appointment,” Bailes said. “It’s a significant responsibility. I don’t have an agenda, but I am very excited about the progress Marshall has made and I want to do my part to see it continue.”

ChristieKinneyDagostine is a division manager with Champion Industries in Huntington. He succeeds Verna Gibson, who could not be reappointed. “I’m honored to have been appointed to the board,” Dagostine said. “I just want to try to make the right decisions and help move Marshall University forward. Hopefully we can continue the progress we’ve made the past few years.”

Kinsey is a financial adviser with Northwestern Mutual in Huntington. She succeeds John Hess, who could not be reappointed. “I’m thrilled,” Kinsey said of being chosen to serve on the board. “When asked if I would accept if asked, I jumped at the chance. It’s a privilege. Marshall is very important to the community.”

PhilClineCline is a retired businessman and a consultant living in Huntington. He succeeds Michael J. Farrell, who could not be reappointed. “I’m thankful to the governor for his having asked me to join. And I look forward to serving,” Cline said.

Current board chair Joseph Touma of Huntington, along with Dale Lowther of Parkersburg and Edward Howard III of Scottsdale, Ariz., were reappointed by Tomblin. Touma’s term is for three years, while the terms of Lowther and Howard are for four years.

Marshall President Stephen J. Kopp thanked Gibson, Hess, Chafin and Farrell for serving on the board.

“I extend our sincere appreciation to Verna, John, Tish and Mike for their outstanding service to the board,” Kopp said. “They have devoted considerable time and energy to serving on the board during this historic time at Marshall University, and they have been instrumental in the progress made here throughout recent years. At the same time, I am looking forward to working with the four new members. I believe Governor Tomblin has made four first-rate appointments.”

————-

Photos: From the top are new Board of Governors members James Bailes of Huntington, Tim Dagostine of Charleston, Christie Kinsey of Lavalette and Phil Cline of Huntington.