Solo exhibit features drawings of Amanda Burnham

HoodbyAmandaBurnhamVisiting artist Amanda Burnham is being featured in a solo exhibition that began this week at the Birke Art Gallery. The exhibit opened Aug. 26 and  features a site-specific installation of drawings created on site in the days before.

“I make drawings as a way of exploring cities, an exercise that began when I moved to Baltimore years ago,” Burnham said. “More recently, I’ve been developing a series of installations … this new trajectory allows me to experiment with the forms that interest me on a large scale … These ‘wall drawings’ afford me … the chance to more aggressively make use of space, to dramatize the page with atmospheric lighting and to envelop/implicate the viewer.”

Burnham earned her B.F.A. in painting and printmaking from Harvard University, and her M.F.A. in visual and environmental studies from Yale University. She is currently an assistant professor and foundations coordinator at Towson University in Towson, Md. Burnham has exhibited her work in venues nationally and internationally, with recent installations at Volta 7 in Basel, Switzerland, and in solo exhibitions at the Delaware Center for Contemporary Art, at Benrimon Contemporary in New York City, and at the Dorsch Gallery in Miami, Fla.

The exhibition will be on display until Oct. 11.  The Birke Art Gallery is free and open to the public  from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from 6 to 8 p.m. Mondays.

—————-

Photo: Hood (2011) by Amanda Burnham, a drawing installation of paint, paper and tape at Hamiltonian Gallery in Washington, D.C.