Marshall gallery director’s work on display in Ironton

RestrainReleasebyJohnFarleyWorks of art by John Farley, director of galleries at Marshall University, are on exhibit at Ohio University Southern in Ironton, Ohio.

Farley, who directs both the Birke Art Gallery on Marshall’s Huntington campus and Gallery 842 in downtown Huntington, will be showcasing work he has done over the years, as well as some of his more recent creations.

“Although largely composed of previous drawings, stylistically and thematically unified, I have chosen to also include two new examples of portraiture,” Farley said. “This show represents a shift from the introspective drawings of the last few years to a developing body of portrait drawings that is more accessible to a viewer, rewarding for me as an artist, and meaningful to those I care for, which is really what it’s all about.”

Farley is also a Marshall graduate, having received his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 2007 with an emphasis in painting.

“Given our close proximity to OU Southern, I hope that this is only one of many upcoming efforts at ‘cross-pollination,’ ” Farley said. “Networking is always crucial. I’m not the first artist with MU ties to display work there, and I hope to feature more artists from southern Ohio at Marshall.”

Farley said there is no general theme for the exhibition but the show is dedicated to his grandmother.

The exhibition will run until Thursday, Sept. 26, and will take place at the art gallery, room D11, in the Dingus Technology Center, 1804 Liberty Ave. in Ironton.

——————

Photo: “Restrain Release,”  a 2013 work by John Farley, is among the artist’s work to be exhibited at Ohio University Southern in Ironton, Ohio.