Registration still open for Advanced Service Learning workshop

This is the last opportunity  to register for the Advanced Service Learning Workshop to be held  Friday, Oct. 3, at the Ritter Park Rose Garden in the Room with a View.

A Panera lunch for current and interested service learning faculty and community partners will be from noon to 1 p.m. The interactive workshop and course construction for those new to service learning will take place  from 1:00 to 4:30 p.m.   Registration can be made by contacting  Dr. Kristi Fondren, Service Learning Director at fondren@marshall.edu, or by calling the Service Learning office at ext.6-6018.

Dr. Marie Archambault, associate professor of accounting, said, “Adding a service learning component to my course has made me more aware of the community and needs within the community. I have also presented a research paper based on the SL component of my course. From a student benefit perspective, I have had students get jobs with the entities that they have partnered with as well as get jobs through the network that their supervisors provided. One student has become a very successful member of a local CPA firm based on the recommendation provided to the partner of that firm from his supervisor at his SL placement. Another student is the CFO for the nonprofit entity that he was partnered with. At least 5 others have taken jobs, at least for some time, with their partners. I believe that this is the biggest benefit that I have gotten from SL, opening doors for myself and my students within the community.”