The Special Collections department of University Libraries received two sets of historical materials recently.
The Rosanna Blake Collection, part of Special Collections, received a significant group of original print newspapers spanning the years 1859 through 1870. The 13 bound volumes contain a complete set of Harper’s Weekly newspapers for that period, which includes the Civil War and Reconstruction periods.
Harper’s is one of the most referenced and desired newspapers of the Civil War period, due to its liberal use of maps, engravings and images. A significant feature is the newspaper’s coverage of President Abraham Lincoln’s assassination and funeral. The newspapers are bound in hard covers and are in excellent condition. The collection was a donation from the Denver Public Library.
Contact the Special Collections Department at ext.6-2343 for access to this resource.
Special Collections also received a set of historic documents, images and relics that spans the period from the 1820s to the 1970s. A gift of brothers Larry and Steve Stark, the materials cover the founding and settlement of Ceredo and Kenova, as well as northern Wayne County. Among the images are rare daguerreotypes and hundreds of cabinet card photos of a trip to Europe in the 1870s. Among the relics are objects unearthed in Ceredo and northern Wayne County.
Many of the documents are from Congressman Charles B. Hoard and his family. The Hoards were the financial backers of Congressman Eli Thayer, who founded Ceredo before the Civil War. The collection consists of more than 3,500 items and is of large historical significance to this area.
Of local significance are the hundreds of documents involved in the land transfers, agreements and several court cases revolving around boundary and other land disputes among Thayer, Hoard, Thomas Jordan, the original property owner, and the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad. These documents shed new light on questions that have surfaced regarding the history of Ceredo, Kenova, Wayne County and the individuals involved.
This collection is open to the public during regular Special Collections Department hours.