Scholarship created at School of Medicine in honor of lifelong West Virginia couple

The Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine announced last week the creation of the C. Douglas Phillips, M.D., F.A.C.R., Scholarship to assist a medical student with educational expenses.

The scholarship was created by Dr. Doug Phillips, Class of 1984, in honor of his parents, Clifford R. and Angelia E. Phillips, lifelong West Virginia residents who reside in Randolph County.   In making the scholarship, Doug Phillips credited his parents with instilling in him a love of learning.

“My parents’ selfless commitment to higher education and their love and guidance are a constant inspiration,” Phillips said.  “In addition to my parents, the scholarship is also established in honor of my children, Caitlin and Kiel, and my wife, Dr. Deborah Shatzkes.  I’m very pleased to honor my family in a way that ‘pays it forward’ for a Marshall medical student.”

Phillips graduated in just three years from Marshall in 1981 with a regents bachelor of arts degree while simultaneously attending his first year of medical school.   After graduating from the medical school in 1984, he completed a residency in diagnostic radiology at the University of Virginia, followed by a fellowship in neuroradiology at Virginia.

Last year, Phillips was named the 2014 Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine Distinguished Alumnus.  He is currently a professor of radiology at the Weill Cornell Medical College/New York-Presbyterian Hospital in New York.