Faculty urged to consider service learning workshop Feb. 6

A last call has gone out to register for the spring Service Learning Workshop and Course Design to be held Friday, Feb. 6, at the Ritter Park Rose Garden in the Room with a View. A Panera lunch for current and interested service learning faculty and community partners will be from noon to 1 p.m.

The interactive workshop, focusing on course construction for those new to service learning or for faculty who want to reorient themselves to service learning will take place from 1 to 4:30 p.m.  If you have a specific course in mind,  bring all course materials such as syllabi, assignments, with you or come to generate ideas for a future course. Registration can be completed by contacting Dr. Kristi Fondren, service learning director, at fondren@marshall.edu, or by calling the Service Learning office at ext.  6-6018.

Dr. Marie Archambault, associate professor of accounting said, “Adding a service learning component to my course has made me more aware of the community and needs within the community. I have also presented a research paper based on the service learning component of my course. From a student benefit perspective, I have had students get jobs with the entities that they have partnered with as well as get jobs through the network that their supervisors provided. One student has become a very successful member of a local CPA firm based on the recommendation provided to the partner of that firm from his supervisor at his service learning placement. Another student is the CFO for the nonprofit entity that he was partnered with. At least five others have taken jobs, at least for some time, with their partners. I believe that this is the biggest benefit that I have gotten from service learning, opening doors for myself and my students within the community.”